Art to be ‘glorious to gaze upon’

Home Arts Art to be ‘glorious to gaze upon’
Art to be ‘glorious to gaze upon’
Alpha Rho Tau Honorary’s art show last year. Rachael Reynolds | Courtesy

Tomorrow night one apartment in Hillsdale will overflow with fine art, conversation, and clinking glasses as the Alpha Rho Tau art honorary holds its second ever art show.

ART President senior Rachael Reynolds will host the event, called “Glorious to Gaze Upon,” in her apartment at 969 North Howell St. from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., with appetizers and refreshments for attendees.

“I think it is going to be a good time,” Reynolds said. “It will be great to enjoy each other’s company and appreciate the art the students of Hillsdale make while having a drink.”

The exhibit will include contributions from most of the honorary’s 29 members, and, unlike the art displayed around the Sage Center for the Arts, all pieces for the show must be outside of class creations.

Patrick Lucas, vice president of Alpha Rho Tau, said he is excited that the pieces in the show will be more personal creations.

“In class you are all doing the same thing, but in this show you can do something totally different,” Lucas said. “It allows us to apply what we learned in class to show what they have taken away from their art classes here.”

At 8:30 p.m., Assistant Professor of Art Julio Suarez will select first, second, and third place winners.

“When it comes to judging the show,  I will be looking for work that is successful in merging technical proficiency with a personal and honest point of view,” Suarez said.

In addition to this event, Alpha Rho Tau plans to host another art show in the spring in an effort to increase Hillsdale’s participation in the arts, even among those without experience in art. They have also opened up the honorary to anyone who has taken at least two art classes at Hillsdale.

“I would say art is an expression that everyone needs in their life, whether they are creating or appreciating,” Reynolds said. “Art, for me, is an an outlet to put my thoughts into something tangible, and we want to encourage people…to participate and be a part of the art community on campus.”