Hillsdale College yoga instructor Leah Novak’s Rough Draft yoga classes began Thursday at 7:15 a.m.

Facebook

This is Novak’s first off-campus class since arriving in Hillsdale during the spring of 2016. She started teaching an evening class at Roche Sports Complex in spring 2016 and for class credits in spring 2017.

“It’s about awak­ening and preparing yourself for the day and cen­tering yourself so you can be able to go and handle all the other things that come at you throughout the day,” Novak said. “I want people to be able to come, work out the kinks, wake-in, and get some stretching in before they go to work — without it being a really heavy and intense sweat class where they might have to go bathe after.”

The rate is $10 per hour, with a dis­count of $5 for stu­dents.

“We just wanted people to have an option for yoga, which I’m sure exists some­where in Hillsdale, but I never knew about an acces­sible yoga studio,” cof­feeshop co-owner Haley Talk­ington said of how morning yoga started at the cof­feeshop.

Talk­ington said Anna Zenz of Root and Stream yoga approached the co-owners of Rough Draft looking to expand her practice and gain expe­rience. Zenz taught Monday and Sat­urday mornings for 45 minutes, and will con­tinue to teach on Sat­urdays.

“We wanted someone with a little more expe­rience, someone who’d be able to teach a more advanced class and have that option to for people,” Talk­ington said.

Cur­rently, Novak teaches two college classes and, at 5:45 p.m. on Wednesdays, one open class at Roche Sports Complex that she said is wel­coming to all levels and bodies.

She said if her new Thursday class gen­erates enough interest, she might con­sider a second class — likely held Monday mornings — at the new coffee shop.

Talk­ington said Rough Draft is looking into a second instructor from Jackson, Radomi Meyer, who would teach a more advanced class during the week.