(Photo: Hillsdale College Ath­letics)

Uni­versity of North­western Ohio’s tennis tour­nament last weekend brought unex­pected changes in schedule and unex­pected results.

In its final fall com­pe­tition, the Chargers women’s tennis team picked up 14 vic­tories in doubles and singles matches at the invi­ta­tional against the home Racers as well as the Uni­versity of Findlay and Walsh Uni­versity, which the women will face again in spring con­ference play.

“We def­i­nitely did well,” coach Nikki Wal­bright said. “There were several indi­vidual records met. Findlay and Walsh are two of the better schools in our con­ference, so it was good to see that we had nice wins on these teams.”

Sophomore Katie Bell starred, going 4 – 1 in the tour­nament and being chosen by G-MAC offi­cials as the Women’s Tennis Player of Week.

Wal­bright said the invite took a weird loop because of rainy weather, altering the tour­nament schedule and rules. Doubles played indoors on Friday with abbre­viated matches to more quickly rotate the players with fewer courts available. The team didn’t finish until 10 p.m., and Saturday’s singles play began at 8 a.m. The rain by then was gone, but the wind added an extra chal­lenge.

“We did what we needed to do. We showed up and played tennis,” Wal­bright said. “We did well, and it showed we could adapt to special cir­cum­stances.”

On Friday, Bell and junior Corinne Prost went 2 – 1, beating Walsh 6 – 0 and Findlay 6 – 2. Sophomore Kamryn Matthews and junior Madeline Bissett won 6 – 3 over Walsh and also posted a victory over Findlay. Junior Halle Hyman teamed with freshman Hannah Cim­peanu to take down Findlay as well.

The fol­lowing day, the Chargers nearly swept singles, going 11 – 1 and 6 – 0 against the Racers. Bell went 4 – 1, beating Findlay 6 – 2, 6 – 0 and Walsh 6 – 1, 6 – 3.

Cim­peanu, Prost, and Bissett all won their first matches in the singles flights as well as freshman Casey Kibler, who made her college tennis debut.

“Our entire team came ready to leave a mark, and it showed in our results,” Prost said in an email. “We had con­sistent and solid wins. I couldn’t be prouder of my team.”

Without matches until Feb­ruary, the tennis team will now focus on par­tic­ulars, Wal­bright said. This includes con­di­tioning and weightlifting as well as match play and hitting. The team will also work on its com­mu­ni­cation and unity.

“I think we sup­ported one another very well this weekend,” Prost said. “No matter how many girls were on court, there were always several team­mates cheering them on.I’ve learned thus far that in order to improve your own game, you must first build up your team­mates.”