Sweeps against Ohio Valley, Davis & Elkins, and Alderson Broaddus over Home­coming weekend bumped Hillsdale volleyball’s win streak to 6 – 0.

The Chargers’ overall record improved to 13 – 3, and 6 – 2 in con­ference play. Hillsdale hasn’t lost a set since its home loss against Cedarville last month.

The team’s perfect Home­coming weekend started with a 3 – 0 victory over the Ohio Valley Fighting Scots on Friday evening. The team’s overall hitting per­centage was .312, and junior outside hitter Kara Vyletel led the offense with 10 kills and a hitting per­centage of .429. She cur­rently is the only player in the G-MAC ranked in the top six for both kills and hitting per­centage.

“Kara had a very good weekend,” head coach Chris Gravel said. “She con­tinues to force oppo­nents to rec­ognize where she is on the court at all times.”

Freshman middle hitter Allyssa Van Wienen and junior rightside hitter Paige Van­derWall also per­formed well against the Fighting Scots, both scoring 11 kills in the match.

Hillsdale’s offense con­tinued to shine in the next match of Home­coming weekend, a 3 – 0 victory over the Davis & Elkins Sen­ators. Vyletel scored 16 kills and a career-record .750 hitting per­centage. Each of the four players who recorded five or more kills in the match also had an indi­vidual hitting per­centage of at least .500, con­tributing to an overall .450.

The Chargers’ defense also per­formed effi­ciently against Davis & Elkins, holding the Sen­ators to a .000 hit per­centage. Sophomore libero Taylor Wiese had 18 digs, and senior outside hitter Jackie Langer fol­lowed closely with 13.

“Our main focus in practice last week was blocking,” Vyletel said. “We have been known in pre­vious years as a very intim­i­dating blocking team. We suc­cess­fully cleaned up our blocking which, in turn, enabled the defense to play well behind the block.”

Langer explained that the Chargers’ offensive effi­ciency is closely tied to improve­ments in defense and com­mu­ni­cation.

“We couldn’t have had a great offense without the help of everyone,” she said. “The blockers are setting the block early, so we can work around them.”

The Chargers wrapped up their perfect Home­coming weekend by dealing the Alderson Broaddus Bat­tlers a crushing defeat. Wiese led the defense with 15 digs, and Langer led the offense with a season-high 10 kills and a .500 hitting per­centage. Van­derWall also scored 10 kills, fol­lowed by Van Wienen with seven and sophomore middle hitter Hannah Gates with five.

In all three matches this weekend, the Chargers saw con­sid­erable success on the service line. The team scored four aces — all of which were served by Langer — against Ohio Valley, and eight against both Davis & Elkins and Alderson Broaddus.

“We believe in making our serves almost as if it were a part of our offense, and we aim to keep a team out of system as much as we can,” Gates said.

Gates also said even though the Chargers usually don’t play on Sunday, the team has been men­tally preparing for the long weekends on their new G-MAC schedule.

“We knew coming into this week that it would be a longer work week, so we pre­pared our­selves for longer prac­tices in antic­i­pation of these new teams that we’ve never seen before,” she said. “We’ve been preparing for these long weekends since the first day of pre­season. Our goal this season is to outwork and out-con­dition our oppo­nents.”

Gravel noted that the team is on the road through all of October, and that’s affecting what the players con­cen­trate on during practice.

“Every­thing has been in prepa­ration for the month of October,” he said. “In practice, we’re focusing on toughness.”

This weekend, the Chargers face away matches at Ursuline on Friday night and Lake Erie on Sat­urday afternoon.

“We’ve never seen Ursuline before so we’re going to do our best to prepare for any­thing this week in practice,” Gates said. “However, we’ve seen Lake Erie many times, and they’re always fun com­pe­tition.”

The Lake Erie Storm are coached by Kevin and Remy Foeman, who were on the Chargers’ coaching team before heading to Lake Erie’s program — which has con­sis­tently ranked as one of Division II’s most improved teams during their tenure. Saturday’s match is the only regular season match scheduled between the teams.

“We have never played at Ursuline before and Lake Erie is the number one team in the East division,” Gravel said. “Fans should expect a battle.”