French fries, Ferris wheels, and freak shows — the Most Popular Fair On Earth never dis­ap­points, but last week, tents upon tents of animals took the fair from, well, fair to fan­tastic. Here are eight of the cutest crea­tures who just left Hillsdale Sat­urday.

1. Fluffiest fluff ball

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

This little guy’s fleece isn’t quite as white as snow, but what he lacks in cotton ball qual­ities he makes up for in snuggly pink softness. The newborn lamb cuddled with his brothers and sisters in the birthing tent and nuzzled many hands, too, as fair­goers passed through 100 square feet of pure cuteness.

2. Most talkative

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

Old Bessie had good reason to moo — she went into labor just after I snapped this photo. A heifer’s ges­tation period lasts about as long as a human preg­nancy, although calves weigh nine times more than the average infant.

3. Most flexible

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

A flea itched her rump, a sight made her jump, but this pre­cious beauty was not about to get up. She hun­kered in a bed of hay, and she sank her snout into a trough of fresh water. Would you get up? I didn’t think so.

4. Cutest couple

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

Despite their looks, these two were not the black sheep of the fair. Kids and adults alike lined up to pet their furry heads, only made cuter by their iden­tical nature.

5. Softest little buddy

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

Do you remember “The Vel­veteen Rabbit,” that children’s book about the little boy who owns a stuffed rabbit, but then he gets sick and all of his toys have to be burnt to get rid of the germs? At the end, the stuffed rabbit is saved by a fairy who makes him real. Just look at how soft and velvety this guy looks! Basi­cally the vel­veteen rabbit come to life.

6. Best ‘do

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

This stylin’ sheep wore the popular cropped cut with con­fi­dence and cool. He added to his gently tousled look by acces­sorizing with the unique placement of his inner ear piercing. Def­i­nitely the coolest guy in the barn.

7. Most fabulous eyeliner

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

Most women leave their days of heavy, caked-on eye­liner in middle school, along with mem­ories of first crushes and awk­wardly-fitting gym uni­forms. This girl, however, lined her eyes as if she had tickets to see Iron Maiden. A bold move, but she pulled off her half-inch of charcoal liner with the help of her pristine fur.

8. Biggest double chin

Katie J. Read | Col­legian

Rabbit food com­monly con­sists of celery, lettuce, and carrots — three foods that are guar­anteed to help you avoid a massive, wob­bling double chin. By the looks of this bunny, he spent his days crunching on some­thing a little more sub­stantial.

Previous articleHomecoming Court 2017
Next articleColor Run this Saturday
Katherine Scheu
Junior Katie J. Read is the assistant editor for the Culture page of The Hillsdale Collegian. When she's not working in the newsroom or reporting on a story, she's reading either French literature or backlogged feature stories on the Pulitzer prize website. After graduation, she hopes to write feature stories for a large daily paper and invest in a KitchenAid mixer and a puppy.