Apple’s iOS 11 includes updates to the pho­tog­raphy fea­tures. Wiki­media Commons

With the release of ARKit, a new aug­mented reality software in iOS 11, the bound­aries between the digital world and the physical world have become blurred.

The new ARKit software enables users of eli­gible devices to expe­rience games and apps overlaid on the real world, using apps that allow users to play with digital pets, preview how new fur­niture would look, and even use their phones to take mea­sure­ments.

The new iOS 11, released released Sept. 19, is free and available to users with the iPhone 5S or newer and the iPad Air or newer. This latest update to Apple’s software also comes with new safety fea­tures, redesigned core apps like iMessage, iTunes, and the app store, as well as a revised control center.

Apple’s new control center, with shortcuts for con­trolling volume or Wi-Fi, now allows users to cus­tomize it with shortcuts to take a video recording of the screen, turn cel­lular data on or off, and other fea­tures.

“I do like the new control center,” sophomore Charles Baumle said. “It has every­thing in one place.”

Other stu­dents, including freshman Noel Schroeder, agreed.

“The control center is 10 times better because it’s all on one screen,” Schroeder said. “It’s more con­ve­nient.”

Users can dis­cover many new ways to use iOS 11 in the tips app after updating.

However, not all users are not pleased with some of the changes.

“I don’t like how round the bubbles are,” freshman Jessica Wood said. “It feels very childish.”

While riding in the car, iOS 11 users will be prompted to turn on “do not disturb” mode while driving, a feature that auto­mat­i­cally turns off noti­fi­ca­tions to reduce dis­trac­tions.

“The new noti­fi­cation center bothers me,” sophomore Kiara Freeman said.” I don’t like it.”

Apple has also made the noti­fi­cation center similar to the lockscreen.

“I like how it has the wall­paper and the time. I like the new Noti­fi­cation Center,” freshman Caleb Ramette said.

Apple has revamped its app store for effi­ciency, changing the layout and overall design. Ramette said he didn’t see much of a dif­ference.

For iPad users, Apple has added a dock and new mul­ti­tasking func­tion­ality, allowing users to do more with the same devices. Apple also upgraded the files app, giving indi­viduals more options when it comes to editing doc­u­ments.

“I edited my Western Her­itage paper on my phone through the files app, which was very useful,” Wood said.

Users with devices that can take live photos may appre­ciate changes to the Photos app, which allows editing of live photos — Apple’s term for the photos which capture video and audio before and after the shot. New fea­tures include turning the photos into GIFs and choosing which frame of the short clip to use as the pho­to­graph.

Apple added QuickType key­boards, acces­sible through the emoji or globe sign on the key­board, which shrink the key­board to one side of the screen or the other to allow users to type with one hand.

“I don’t care for the QuickType feature,” Freeman said. “It doesn’t help me. It doesn’t change much.”

Despite the new fea­tures, many Hillsdale stu­dents still haven’t updated.

“I probably won’t update because I’m afraid of change,” senior Jessie Kop­meyer said.

Other users haven’t noticed the release of iOS 11 or can’t be bothered to upgrade.

“I was unaware it came out, lit­erally,” freshman Kylar Kuzio said. “I might have it. I just haven’t noticed.”

On the other hand, some are aware they don’t have the update.

“I don’t have it because I’m lazy and I’m too used to deleting the reminder to get the new iOS,” sophomore Brigid Maj­mudar said.