Apple’s iOS 11 includes updates to the photography features. Wikimedia Commons

With the release of ARKit, a new augmented reality software in iOS 11, the boundaries between the digital world and the physical world have become blurred.

The new ARKit software enables users of eligible devices to experience games and apps overlaid on the real world, using apps that allow users to play with digital pets, preview how new furniture would look, and even use their phones to take measurements.

The new iOS 11, released released Sept. 19, is free and available to users with the iPhone 5S or newer and the iPad Air or newer. This latest update to Apple’s software also comes with new safety features, redesigned core apps like iMessage, iTunes, and the app store, as well as a revised control center.

Apple’s new control center, with shortcuts for controlling volume or Wi-Fi, now allows users to customize it with shortcuts to take a video recording of the screen, turn cellular data on or off, and other features.

“I do like the new control center,” sophomore Charles Baumle said. “It has everything in one place.”

Other students, including freshman Noel Schroeder, agreed.

“The control center is 10 times better because it’s all on one screen,” Schroeder said. “It’s more convenient.”

Users can discover many new ways to use iOS 11 in the tips app after updating.

However, not all users are not pleased with some of the changes.

“I don’t like how round the bubbles are,” freshman Jessica Wood said. “It feels very childish.”

While riding in the car, iOS 11 users will be prompted to turn on “do not disturb” mode while driving, a feature that automatically turns off notifications to reduce distractions.

“The new notification center bothers me,” sophomore Kiara Freeman said.” I don’t like it.”

Apple has also made the notification center similar to the lockscreen.

“I like how it has the wallpaper and the time. I like the new Notification Center,” freshman Caleb Ramette said.

Apple has revamped its app store for efficiency, changing the layout and overall design. Ramette said he didn’t see much of a difference.

For iPad users, Apple has added a dock and new multitasking functionality, allowing users to do more with the same devices. Apple also upgraded the files app, giving individuals more options when it comes to editing documents.

“I edited my Western Heritage paper on my phone through the files app, which was very useful,” Wood said.

Users with devices that can take live photos may appreciate changes to the Photos app, which allows editing of live photos — Apple’s term for the photos which capture video and audio before and after the shot. New features include turning the photos into GIFs and choosing which frame of the short clip to use as the photograph.

Apple added QuickType keyboards, accessible through the emoji or globe sign on the keyboard, which shrink the keyboard to one side of the screen or the other to allow users to type with one hand.

“I don’t care for the QuickType feature,” Freeman said. “It doesn’t help me. It doesn’t change much.”

Despite the new features, many Hillsdale students still haven’t updated.

“I probably won’t update because I’m afraid of change,” senior Jessie Kopmeyer said.

Other users haven’t noticed the release of iOS 11 or can’t be bothered to upgrade.

“I was unaware it came out, literally,” freshman Kylar Kuzio said. “I might have it. I just haven’t noticed.”

On the other hand, some are aware they don’t have the update.

“I don’t have it because I’m lazy and I’m too used to deleting the reminder to get the new iOS,” sophomore Brigid Majmudar said.