Sat­urday evening’s storm left fallen trees and damaged property in its wake.

John Speer. Courtesy

The student res­i­dents of 10 E. Fayette Street watched as a tree crashed into their house.

“My house­mates heard a whoosh sound fol­lowed by a really loud crash that seemed to shake the house. One of the guys was wearing noise can­celling head­phones and still heard it,” senior John Speer, a res­ident of the house, said in an email.

The tree cracked down the middle, half of it landing on their roof at about 10 p.m., senior Hans Noyes said.

“The wind starts to pick up more and more,” Noyes said. “We left a side window open, which is where the tree is — right by the door. The moment we hit the window down, there was a simul­ta­neous noise, and then there was a big flash of white — it turns out it hit all the power cords, the live wires were sparking.”

Noyes said he and a friend made sure his fellow house­mates were safe before returning to the window to see what had hap­pened.

“All of the sudden the window was crowded with branches and leaves,” he said. “We didn’t realize that the tree had fallen, we just thought it was lightning.”

The first story porch and second story window were covered in branches of a tree that Noyes said was 30 or 40 feet tall. Within 10 minutes, the fire department arrived, who left “most of the tree on the house,” until cutting down the rest on Sunday morning.

Sgt. Steve Pratt of the Hillsdale City Police Department said that the old trees in Hillsdale cause a risk during storms. Old trees pose a legit­imate threat during heavy storms, Pratt said, since Hillsdale works to con­serve them throughout the city.

“One of the beau­tiful things about the City of Hillsdale is we have all these nice mature trees, but that’s also one of hazards of living in Hillsdale,” he said.

While he said he could not see much damage at the student house, he said the trees can “be a con­stant issue for us.”

“The tree was a very, very old maple tree,” he said. “During storm season we have trees and limbs come down often. The city has a forester on staff who basi­cally goes around and checks the con­dition and health of our trees, and just the care of Hillsdale’s trees.”

Noyes said that for such a big tree, the damage was minimal.

“We were really for­tunate and blessed to not get hurt,” Noyes said.