Simpson Asylum to scare students Friday the 13th

Home News Simpson Asylum to scare students Friday the 13th
Simpson Asylum, 2015 | Courtesy

Simpson will hold its “asylum” this Friday, Oct. 13, for the fourth year in a row. In celebration of the upcoming Halloween season and because of Friday the 13, Simpson decided to have the asylum a earlier this year.

There is an entrance fee of $2, with all proceeds going to the Salvation Army Christmas Drive.

“It will be scary, but we scare because we care,” sophomore Dietrich Balsbaugh said. “That’s the motto of Simpson Asylum.”

Senior Joe Pappalardo, who headed up the asylum for the past few years, said he loves the spontaneity and themes of the event.

“It’s actually best to show up 9:30 to 11p.m., when the guys have hit their stride and started getting creative with their characters,” Pappalardo said.   

Stephen Richmann, a sophomore in Simpson, said he is looking forward to the surprise and scaring students.

“There’s usually one person who freaks out just a little too much,” Richmann said. “I’m looking forward to finding out who that is this year.”

Junior Josh Bailey, a Simpson RA, said he loves the creative way that the guys come up with to frighten people.

“My favorite part is coming up with crazy and fun ideas to scare people,” Bailey said. “The reactions are priceless. I am especially excited for this year because we have a ton of energetic and involved residents.”

The preparation for the event can be pretty intense, according to Richmann and Balsbaugh.  

“The miraculous thing about Simpson is how fast a bunch of like-minded guys can pull off something as logistically intense as Asylum,” Richmann said. “There’ll be a blitzkrieg of prep work late this week as everyone kicks into high gear together.”