SAB held a silent auction in the Grewcock Student Union Sept. 28 and 29 for recent hur­ricane victims, raising over $4,000. Eliz­abeth Bachmann | Col­legian

A silent auction on campus last week raised $4,046 for hur­ricane relief efforts through bids on gift baskets, apparel, mem­o­ra­bilia, and other items.

Stu­dents, faculty, staff, alumni, and vis­itors bid on items donated by members of the college and the local com­munity. All pro­ceeds went directly toward ben­e­fitting fam­ilies and com­mu­nities hit by the hur­ri­canes around the Gulf Coast.

The Student Activ­ities Office put the silent auction together. Director of Student Activ­ities Ashlyn Landherr said she believed the auction to be a success. She said it was an incredible oppor­tunity for the com­munity of Hillsdale to come together to help provide to support for com­mu­nities around the country going through hard­ships.

“Once we got the word out about the phil­an­thropy, dona­tions started flooding in from staff, faculty, and student groups, as well as local busi­nesses and some alumni,” Landherr said in an email. “It was a great showing of how pow­erful and selfless our com­munity can be.”

The top three items by price were a frozen meats package, an auto­graphed Detroit Red Wings mem­o­ra­bilia package, and an authentic dinosaur bone. They sold for $200, $125, and $125, respec­tively. Another high profile item was the “Men’s bas­ketball coach for a day” item, donated by the bas­ketball team. It sold for $110.

“I think it’s an important thing for Hillsdale College to help and support the people in our country who are in need” said John Tharp, head coach of the men’s bas­ketball team.

Assistant Director of Student Activ­ities Hank Prim also said the event went well.

“The strong out­pouring of support from our college and local com­munity, coupled with the large amount of relief aid gen­erated made this event a success,” said Prim in an email. “Ashlyn and I were extremely for­tunate to have had the oppor­tunity to coor­dinate this event on behalf of the college, and we’ve been surely impressed by the sheer gen­erosity of our awesome college and won­derful com­munity.”

The money raised will be donated to the American Red Cross and des­ig­nated for hur­ricane relief efforts. The American Red Cross will use these funds to pur­chase aid sup­plies and provide support to com­mu­nities dev­as­tated by hur­ri­canes.

“We know that there’s a lot of rebuilding that needs to be done around the Gulf,” said Landherr. “Our hope is that these funds will go to helping in any way pos­sible.”