Salchow MacArthur designs mul­ti­media. Nic Rowan | Col­legian

For graphic designer Kelly Salchow MacArthur, the digital arts com­mu­nicate important eco­logical mes­sages.

The art department will be hosting an exhibit of MacArthur’s work from Oct. 20 to Nov. 19. The exhibit com­bines an array of digital designs printed on paper and metal, high­lighted by dif­ferent lighting tech­niques. The exhibit’s purpose is to encourage viewers to rethink how they treat the envi­ronment.

This is the first time the art department has hosted a graphic artist as its fea­tured exhibit since the college started offering graphic design classes over 15 years ago.

MacArthur is an asso­ciate pro­fessor of studio art and co-coor­di­nator of graphic design at Michigan State Uni­versity. She received her Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from the Rhode Island School of Design and also studied at the Uni­versity of Cincinnati College of Design, Archi­tecture, Art and Planning.

According to Teacher of Graphic Design Bryan Springer, dis­playing her work will expose stu­dents to a type of art Hillsdale does not usually have the chance to expe­rience.

“The medium is unique and in an area that is con­tem­porary and rel­evant,” he said. “And MacArthur’s work is beau­tiful. She offers a spe­cific visual lan­guage you don’t see in painting or sculpture.”

The art department decided to host MacArthur and her work because the exhibit will serve the dual purpose of exposing stu­dents to pro­fes­sional design and of showing how graphic arts could tran­scend utility and com­mu­nicate some­thing higher.

“We see the value of graphic design as it relates to the tra­di­tional artists,” Springer said. “It ful­fills the need to com­mu­nicate visually one’s own identity.”