It comes as no surprise that pompous, overpaid sports stars think they can be political and get away with it. It’s not their fault, really. Modern American society raised them to think they are gods. Amid all the opinions concerning the movement, it’s important to remember its roots.

It started in August 2016 when San Francisco ’49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick told NFL Media that he refused to stand for the flag or national anthem because, to him, they represent racism and the oppression of African-Americans. How interesting that he, a half-African-American making millions of dollars each year just for playing football, should complain about inequality. He’s living the very American Dream — a life in which a person can become anything he works hard to be.

According to the website Edu in Review, “Kaepernick spent a few weeks with his birth mother before being put up for adoption…He went from being the biracial child of a single mother to the newest member of an upper-class family.” He was given countless opportunities to play sports, specifically football, growing up, and got accepted to the University of Nevada, Reno, on a football scholarship.

Pause. He came from an upper-class family and received a college scholarship? Sounds like a victim of a racist society to me. He clearly has no advantage over the average white student. The oppression he’s been under is tangible. Moving on.

These players live in a country that allows them to protest and disrespect its history, its government, its flag, its anthem.

What’s unique about the country they hate is that it was the third in the world to outlaw the slave trade, with only Denmark and the United Kingdom outlawing it earlier. No other country has ever fought a war to end slavery, except America. They’ve sadly grown up with the modern victim narrative of the “haves” and “have-nots” which has divided society.

So the hatred, or at least resentment, that Kaepernick and others feel for our country is not really theirs. It’s the hatred of people like Saul Alinsky, Howard Zinn, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama. Alinsky’s most notable work, “Rules for Radicals”, which was published in 1971, outlined his highly controversial and often violent techniques to overthrow those in power.

In the acknowledgments of this influential work, Alinsky wrote, “Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history…the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom – Lucifer.”

Many of today’s professors, politicians, and media pundits have been steeped in Alinsky ideology. Some of his notable apostles include Howard Zinn, the Communist Party member who wrote the highly influential anti-American book “A People’s History of the United States”.

Part of Kaepernick’s college’s core curriculum is a class entitled “Diversity & Equity,” in which students “may examine various topics related to this objective, such as the historical or contemporary experiences of particular groups of people;…theories of racial or gender oppression; and efforts to improve the living conditions or treatment of marginalized groups,” as stated in the University of Nevada course catalog. Among other books on the recommended reading list is “People’s History of the United States” by Howard Zinn, the Alinskyite.  

It’s no wonder that Kaepernick and other NFL players are taking a knee – they never had a chance to think otherwise. They attended universities, took classes, and indulged in media that promote only one narrative: the Alinsky narrative — the “haves and have-nots” victim narrative.

The more you convince a person or group that they are victims, the more they will believe it, and the more radicalized they will become. They will become motivated against their “oppressors,” in this case the United States, to stand against it and work toward its destruction. They are only living testaments of the world Alinsky and his disciples dreamt of and, sadly, created.  

Jacquelyn Eubanks is a sophomore studying the liberal arts.