It comes as no sur­prise that pompous, overpaid sports stars think they can be political and get away with it. It’s not their fault, really. Modern American society raised them to think they are gods. Amid all the opinions con­cerning the movement, it’s important to remember its roots.

It started in August 2016 when San Fran­cisco ’49ers quar­terback Colin Kaepernick told NFL Media that he refused to stand for the flag or national anthem because, to him, they rep­resent racism and the oppression of African-Amer­icans. How inter­esting that he, a half-African-American making mil­lions of dollars each year just for playing football, should com­plain about inequality. He’s living the very American Dream — a life in which a person can become any­thing he works hard to be.

According to the website Edu in Review, “Kaepernick spent a few weeks with his birth mother before being put up for adoption…He went from being the biracial child of a single mother to the newest member of an upper-class family.” He was given countless oppor­tu­nities to play sports, specif­i­cally football, growing up, and got accepted to the Uni­versity of Nevada, Reno, on a football schol­arship.

Pause. He came from an upper-class family and received a college schol­arship? Sounds like a victim of a racist society to me. He clearly has no advantage over the average white student. The oppression he’s been under is tan­gible. Moving on.

These players live in a country that allows them to protest and dis­re­spect its history, its gov­ernment, its flag, its anthem.

What’s unique about the country they hate is that it was the third in the world to outlaw the slave trade, with only Denmark and the United Kingdom out­lawing it earlier. No other country has ever fought a war to end slavery, except America. They’ve sadly grown up with the modern victim nar­rative of the “haves” and “have-nots” which has divided society.

So the hatred, or at least resentment, that Kaepernick and others feel for our country is not really theirs. It’s the hatred of people like Saul Alinsky, Howard Zinn, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama. Alinsky’s most notable work, “Rules for Rad­icals”, which was pub­lished in 1971, out­lined his highly con­tro­versial and often violent tech­niques to over­throw those in power.

In the acknowl­edg­ments of this influ­ential work, Alinsky wrote, “Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowl­edgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history…the first radical known to man who rebelled against the estab­lishment and did it so effec­tively that he at least won his own kingdom – Lucifer.”

Many of today’s pro­fessors, politi­cians, and media pundits have been steeped in Alinsky ide­ology. Some of his notable apostles include Howard Zinn, the Com­munist Party member who wrote the highly influ­ential anti-American book “A People’s History of the United States”.

Part of Kaepernick’s college’s core cur­riculum is a class entitled “Diversity & Equity,” in which stu­dents “may examine various topics related to this objective, such as the his­torical or con­tem­porary expe­ri­ences of par­ticular groups of people;…theories of racial or gender oppression; and efforts to improve the living con­di­tions or treatment of mar­gin­alized groups,” as stated in the Uni­versity of Nevada course catalog. Among other books on the rec­om­mended reading list is “People’s History of the United States” by Howard Zinn, the Alin­skyite.  

It’s no wonder that Kaepernick and other NFL players are taking a knee — they never had a chance to think oth­erwise. They attended uni­ver­sities, took classes, and indulged in media that promote only one nar­rative: the Alinsky nar­rative — the “haves and have-nots” victim nar­rative.

The more you con­vince a person or group that they are victims, the more they will believe it, and the more rad­i­calized they will become. They will become moti­vated against their “oppressors,” in this case the United States, to stand against it and work toward its destruction. They are only living tes­ta­ments of the world Alinsky and his dis­ciples dreamt of and, sadly, created.  

Jacquelyn Eubanks is a sophomore studying the liberal arts.