Hillsdale Police Chief Scott Hephner stated Hillsdale law enforcement is working to ensure a quick response if a terror-driven tragedy should occur in Hillsdale, fol­lowing the mass shooting Las Vegas, Nevada, on Sunday evening.

A police patrol vehicle.
Thomas Novelly/Collegian

Speaking at a City Council meeting on Monday, Hephner said both police and fire depart­ments are trained to respond to these kinds of events and that both depart­ments attend annual training ses­sions specif­i­cally des­ig­nated to educate law enforcement on public safety pre­paredness.

“I want to assure our com­munity that our per­sonnel are trained to respond should it occur,” he said.

The Hillsdale Police and Fire depart­ments have scheduled joint training with local Emer­gency Medical Ser­vices for a mock mass casualty drill later this fall, Hephner said.

“We know if it’s a mass casualty, we need as many people as pos­sible,” he said.

Local law enforcement depart­ments are also involved with schools, par­tic­i­pating in lockdown drills and training for pos­sible mass casualty events there.

Addi­tionally, Hephner said the city will be insti­tuting inter-depart­mental training, as well, citing the Fire Department’s plans to teach the Police Department how to attach a hose to a hydrant as an example of the city’s plans to inte­grate first response tactics.

“Right now, everyone is pro­tective of his orga­ni­zation; we need to get past that,” he said. “When it comes to our com­munity, if it hap­pened once, we need to antic­ipate that it could happen again. We need to make plans and train for that.”

Previous articleLocal pilot named airport manager
Next articleSummer’s last drops of honey
Nic Rowan
Nic Rowan is a senior from Washington, DC. He serves as City News Editor. In addition to the Collegian, his work has appeared in The Washington Free Beacon, National Review Online, The Federalist, Acculturated, and Arc Digital. Daft Punk is playing at his house. email: nrowan@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @NicXTempore