Emily Oren ’16 speaks to the media after her second straight victory at the Detroit Half Marathon on Sat­urday.
(Photo: Emily Oren | Courtesy)

Emily Oren ’16 can add another half-marathon title to her long list of accom­plish­ments. The nine-time D-II national champion is now a two-time Detroit half marathon champion after her race on Sunday. Her winning time was 1:19:1, just one second over a six-minute mile pace.

“I wanted to go faster than that, under a six minute pace. But this course is a little long, like 13.2 or 13.3,” Oren said.

Oren now runs pro­fes­sionally for Oiselle, a women’s running ath­letic apparel company, while bal­ancing her demanding job schedule that she said requires a lot of travel.

“I’m a Hillsdale College admis­sions coun­selor, and I visit high schools for college fairs,” Oren said. “This year I’m doing Illinois, Min­nesota, Iowa, and Wis­consin.”

Andrew Towne, Hillsdale’s head cross country and track coach, attributes Oren’s success to her com­pet­i­tiveness.

“From the time I first met her in the fall of her senior year, you could tell she wants to be the best, she’s really moti­vated and com­pet­itive to make that happen,” Towne said. “I’m proud of her, as always. She con­tinues to do good things and con­tinues to improve.”

Although a half-marathon is a much longer race than the races she’s used to, Oren said she enjoyed her expe­rience.

“It’s kind of a fun dis­tance because the pace is a little more chill com­pared to a track race,” she said. “It was really humid this year so that sort of threw for a loop. But it’s still fun.”

She is now getting ready to train for the indoor track season, when she will be com­peting in the mile and 3K races. Her goal is to compete in the USA cham­pi­onships.

“I am taking a little bit of downtime, then I’m going to start building a base for indoor,” Oren said. “Indoor USA’s is like three weeks earlier this year, in Feb­ruary.”