Student Activ­ities Board hosts its annual Color Run | Courtesy

The Student Activ­ities Board is holding its fourth annual Color Run at Hayden Park this Sat­urday.

The run takes place at the five-kilo­meter track wrapping behind the park. Stu­dents are doused with handfuls of mul­ti­colored chalk-dyes while they run. The Color Run, unlike most large campus events, focuses on healthy physical activity.  

“We want to create oppor­tu­nities for stu­dents who wouldn’t nec­es­sarily get out and get active to do it in a fun way,” Director of Student Activ­ities Ashlyn Landherr said. “The Color Run is kind of our first event that is recre­ation-focused, but it’s still more on the fun, social side.”

Hank Prim, assistant director of student activ­ities, agreed.

“I think it’s important that we create oppor­tu­nities for wellness, just as much as for social, so the Color Run is an oppor­tunity for both,” Prim said. “There’s a lot more to Student Activ­ities than just parties and big events, and it starts with these more niche events that are more recre­ational-focused.”

Stu­dents do not have to run to par­tic­ipate in the event, however. Dorms and Greek houses across campus join in by dressing in one color and throwing the colored chalk, com­peting to be the house with most spirit.

“Everyone will receive a T-shirt, although if you have other white clothes, by all means, deck yourself out in white,” said Branden Bisher, a senior who is helping to coor­dinate the event.

SAB is hoping to draw around 75 people.

“It’s about getting as many people out there and having as good a time on a Sat­urday morning as we can,” Landherr said.

Maria Forsythe, a sophomore who par­tic­i­pated in the run last year, said the race does not have to be a com­pet­itive event.

“If anyone is hes­itant about doing it, I would say still do it, even if you’re not a runner or haven’t been running for a long time,” Forsythe said.  “Some people look at it as a race and want to win, but I don’t really care about that, so I just have fun with it.”