The Film and Pro­duction club is hosting a Hal­loween horror story video com­pe­tition. Pexels | Courtesy

Anybody who wields a camera or phone can try for free coffee by making a spooky movie this Hal­loween.

Hillsdale’s Film and Pro­duction Club is hosting a horror film contest for stu­dents, with a first prize of $15 to local coffee shop Rough Draft.

Senior Kayla Stetzel, pres­ident of the Film and Pro­duction Club, came up with the contest idea. She said the hope behind the contest is to “encourage stu­dents to get involved and start cre­ating some­thing.”

The club is looking for sub­mis­sions of films from two to five minutes long.

Both Stetzel and senior Beau Jarrett, the trea­surer for the film club, stressed that stu­dents from all skill levels are welcome to submit a film.

“Hal­loween-themed films are really easy to do,” Stetzel said. “A lot of famous directors started out with horror movies.”

Jarrett added that the movies can be shot on iPhones, noting that judges won’t be expecting a per­fectly edited film.

The club will be flexible regarding sub­mis­sions, according to Stetzel. For example, they welcome funny horror films as well as serious ones.

The club will have a viewing party after the contest has ended. The exact location and time has yet to be deter­mined.

For more infor­mation, stu­dents are directed to the club’s Facebook page — “Hillsdale College Film and Pro­duction Club.” The contest’s pro­mo­tional video is posted there, and further infor­mation about the contest and viewing party will be posted there as well.

Inter­ested stu­dents should submit films by 5 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 29. All sub­mis­sions should be sent to Jordyn Pair at her email jpair@hillsdale.edu.