Sigma Alpha Iota hosts an annual Charity Ball. Giannina Imperial | Courtesy

Autumn is barely here, but Sigma Alpha Iota is ush­ering in winter at their annual Charity Ball.

The women’s music fra­ternity is hosting their yearly phil­an­thropy event in a 1903 Romanov Winter Ball theme. The formal gala will fall on Sat­urday, Oct. 14 from 8 p.m. to mid­night in the Howard Music Hall. The dona­tions will go to the Reading Com­munity Schools’ music department.

“We raise money for a certain area high school’s music program, and this year, we are raising money for Reading Schools because they are starting a com­pet­itive winter drumline,” Sigma Alpha Iota Pres­ident senior Giannina Imperial said. “We chose them because they seemed very excited.”

The event has a formal dress code, according to Charity Ball coor­di­nator senior Emily Blatter, and fea­tures a raffle, dancing, and live per­for­mances by bands and the ladies of SAI.

SAI started planning early, choosing a charity to fund and gath­ering dona­tions for raffle prizes and dec­o­ra­tions this summer.

“I absolutely could not do this without my sisters,” Blatter said.

There has been an effort to raise more awareness about the event.

“We asked Dr. Arnn if he would be willing to involve himself this year, and he’s been sending letters to all the faculty, telling them about Charity Ball,” Imperial said. “With all the extra pub­licity going out this year and the faculty response, we’re expecting a large turnout.”

College Pres­ident Larry Arnn is involved in other ways as well.

“In the earlier days of the ball, there would be a cocktail hour at Broadlawn for the faculty and the SAI seniors with Dr. Arnn,” Blatter said. “He was gen­erous enough to bring that back this year for us.”

Tickets can be pur­chased during lunch and dinner for $15 per indi­vidual, $25 per couple, and $50 per group of five people.

“It is really great to give back to the com­munity, espe­cially music-wise,” Imperial said. “A lot of high schools don’t have a lot of funding for their music program, so we want to help out.”