Slowly the temperatures start to drop as the leaves change color and fall to the ground, creating the perfect season for cherishing the sunshine before the snow arrives. The excitement of fall heightens with the end of the blazing summer heat and the anticipation of the coming months of hibernation.

Here’s a list of Hillsdale fall must-dos, fully basic and Instagram approved.

Try Rough Draft’s new fall line

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

Rough Draft introduced a fall line of drinks including a Maple Clove latte. Unlike some of Rough Draft’s sweeter lattes, Maple Clove has more of a savory taste, complete with a maple smell and a dusting of clove, with a flavor that is present throughout the whole drink.

Find some pumpkins

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

Local Hillsdale businesses will host their annual “Awesome Autumn” celebration on Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 5-8 p.m. in Downtown Hillsdale. Shops will be open with special giveaway deals and food samples. Smith Flowers will have free pumpkins until supplies last. Grab one and paint or carve it.

Go on a walk

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

Hillsdale has numerous paths to explore the orange, red, brown, and green colors of the leaves. Walk along the St. Joseph River, stroll through the Arboretum, or follow a trail at Hayden Park to get outside before the frost comes in.

Eat a donut and drink some cider

Josephine von Dohlen / Collegian

Nothing says “fall” more than drinking apple cider and eating fresh donuts at a local cider mill. Located approximately 25 minutes outside Hillsdale, Meckley’s flavor fruit farm has a variety of ciders and wines as well as donuts made to perfection. While they don’t offer apple picking, visitors can go on a hayride through the orchard and enjoy weekend concerts with live music.

Watch the Sunset

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

It is starting to get darker earlier and earlier each night, so treasure the time with the sun. Head to the west side of Kendall hall for one of the best sunset-watching spots on campus.

Bake and Read

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

Make a pie, bake some cookies or bread, and finish some of that extra English reading you haven’t had time to do. Often, many people resort to the infamous pumpkin obsession, so the possibilities for new recipes are endless.

Have a bonfire

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

Grab a group of friends and absorb the smoky smell of a fire from an evening bonfire before the snow comes.

Go horseback riding

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

Fall is the perfect time to explore trails on a horse, and take in the beautiful changing leaves and cooler weather.

Keep eating ice cream

Josephine von Dohlen | Collegian

You may hesitate to eat ice cream as the days grow colder, but AJ’s Cafe offers a pumpkin pie flavor complete with pie crust and whipped cream that you should try.

Previous articleFive must-watch Halloween movies
Next articleGroup to see beatification
Josephine von Dohlen is a junior from Minneapolis, Minnesota who appreciates the communicative power of journalism and the community that it fosters. A graduate of the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C., she has previously interned with Catholic News Service. At Hillsdale, she is part of the Dow Journalism Program and a major in American Studies. Email: jvondohlen@hillsdale.edu