Senior Razi Lane will debate senior Brendan Noble in a dis­cussion about immi­gration and security, Oct. 9. | Courtesy

The Fair­field Society will host a senior debate between senior class pres­ident Razi Lane and Young American’s for Liberty Pres­ident Brendan Noble on immi­gration and security on Oct. 9.

Lane will defend the con­ser­v­ative position, while Noble will be taking a lib­er­tarian stance. The Fair­field Society said it hopes dis­cussing dif­ferent per­spec­tives will inform those who may not have an opinion on the topic, or chal­lenge pre­vi­ously held beliefs.

“We like to pursue truth through dis­cussion,” sophomore Ian English, Fair­field Society co-pres­ident, said. “We like to bring up all dif­ferent per­spec­tives with the idea that we believe truth exists, not, ‘here’s all the dif­ferent things we believe truth could be.’”

Since both groups are rep­re­sented on campus through the Young Amer­icans for Freedom and Young Amer­icans for Liberty clubs on campus, the debate is meant to create some clarity, according to Lane.

“I think you draw a stark con­trast [through debate],” Lane said. “We want to create an envi­ronment where there’s clarity of the greatest degree on what lib­er­tar­i­anism is as a phi­losophy per its position on immi­gration and likewise with con­ser­vatism.”

Lane and Noble debated last year, although over more general lib­er­tarian versus con­ser­v­ative prin­ciples such as foreign policy, mar­riage and drugs. Noble said he hopes this debate will create con­nec­tions between con­ser­v­a­tives and lib­er­tarians on campus.

“I think it’s a dis­cussion lib­er­tarians and con­ser­v­a­tives need to have,” Noble said. “There’s more to agree with that we can find than we think. Even as we debate about it, we can find some common threads in our argu­ments.”

Young Amer­icans for Liberty vice-pres­ident and sophomore Luke Grzywacz found last year’s debate to be par­tic­u­larly engrossing and is excited to see the two go at it again.

“They’re [Razi and Brendan] good at debating each other,” Grzywacz said. “They play off each others strengths and weak­nesses. I’m really excited to see the two minds go at each other again.”

Regardless of the dis­cussion the debate may gen­erate, English believes the debate will be ben­e­ficial for anyone who attends.

“The debate is either going to chal­lenge what you believe to make sure you under­stand why you believe it,” English said, “or it’s going to inform you to take on a belief that is informed and has a factual basis rather than a more popular opinion.”

The debate will be held at 8:30 p.m. in in Lane Hall, room 124.