Senior Razi Lane will debate senior Brendan Noble in a discussion about immigration and security, Oct. 9. | Courtesy

The Fairfield Society will host a senior debate between senior class president Razi Lane and Young American’s for Liberty President Brendan Noble on immigration and security on Oct. 9.

Lane will defend the conservative position, while Noble will be taking a libertarian stance. The Fairfield Society said it hopes discussing different perspectives will inform those who may not have an opinion on the topic, or challenge previously held beliefs.

“We like to pursue truth through discussion,” sophomore Ian English, Fairfield Society co-president, said. “We like to bring up all different perspectives with the idea that we believe truth exists, not, ‘here’s all the different things we believe truth could be.’”

Since both groups are represented on campus through the Young Americans for Freedom and Young Americans for Liberty clubs on campus, the debate is meant to create some clarity, according to Lane.

“I think you draw a stark contrast [through debate],” Lane said. “We want to create an environment where there’s clarity of the greatest degree on what libertarianism is as a philosophy per its position on immigration and likewise with conservatism.”

Lane and Noble debated last year, although over more general libertarian versus conservative principles such as foreign policy, marriage and drugs. Noble said he hopes this debate will create connections between conservatives and libertarians on campus.

“I think it’s a discussion libertarians and conservatives need to have,” Noble said. “There’s more to agree with that we can find than we think. Even as we debate about it, we can find some common threads in our arguments.”

Young Americans for Liberty vice-president and sophomore Luke Grzywacz found last year’s debate to be particularly engrossing and is excited to see the two go at it again.

“They’re [Razi and Brendan] good at debating each other,” Grzywacz said. “They play off each others strengths and weaknesses. I’m really excited to see the two minds go at each other again.”

Regardless of the discussion the debate may generate, English believes the debate will be beneficial for anyone who attends.

“The debate is either going to challenge what you believe to make sure you understand why you believe it,” English said, “or it’s going to inform you to take on a belief that is informed and has a factual basis rather than a more popular opinion.”

The debate will be held at 8:30 p.m. in in Lane Hall, room 124.