Stu­dents in Gallo-Zing rehearse their Mock Rock routine. Regan Meyer | Col­legian

Home­coming week at Hillsdale College is jam-packed with activ­ities. None are more antic­i­pated than Mock Rock.

A staple of Hillsdale home­coming week, Mock Rock boasts high energy, stunt-filled dances that bring dorm rivalries to a head. On Sat­urday, Sept. 30, stu­dents will fill the Roche Sports Complex to both compete in and watch the storied com­pe­tition. Res­i­dents of the back-to-back reigning champion Simpson Hall hope to con­tinue their two-year winning streak and believe it’s really the other dorms and clubs that keep them at the top of their A-game, according to Zach Stone, a head res­ident assistant in Simpson.

“The other groups are so good”, Stone said. “They make us have to be bigger and better. Com­pe­tition gets so much better every year.”

Stone hopes to beat that better com­pe­tition by prac­ticing almost every night for two weeks and by gaining loyal com­mitment from Simpson’s par­tic­i­pants.  

“We ask that the people who want to par­tic­ipate commit 100 percent,” Stone said. “Guys have to buy in and commit.”

Mauck­ood­feldt– made up of Mauck Hall, Koon Res­i­dence, and Niedfelt Res­i­dence– has also been prac­ticing every night for the past couple weeks.

“We’re just having a lot of fun dancing,” said senior Reuben Blake, Koon’s head RA.

Women of McIntyre practice their chore­og­raphy. Regan Meyer | Col­legian

After Mauck­ood­feldt and Simpson, com­mitment varies from group to group. Gallo-Zing– Gal­loway Hall and Benzing Res­i­dence– rehearses about three to four times a week. McIntyre Hall started out Mock Rock prep with spo­radic prac­tices, but has bumped rehearsals up to every night during Home­coming Week, and Olds Res­i­dence prac­tices three or four times a week. No matter the level of com­mitment or number of rehearsals, the RAs agree on one thing: Mock Rock 2017 is going to be quite the event.

“Our goal is to give a really great show,” said Avery Helms, a res­ident of Gal­loway. “We’ve got a lot of sur­prising ele­ments. It’s not really con­ven­tional Mock Rock, per se. It’s a lot more fun and upbeat than many other Mock Rock [rou­tines] will be.”

While most dorms aren’t focused on crushing Simpson’s two-year win streak, that goal cer­tainly isn’t far from anyone’s mind.  

“Our aim is to have fun, whether we destroy Simpson or not,” said sophomore Rowan Macwan, an RA in Gal­loway. “That is to say, whether we destroy Simpson or we just beat them by a large margin. Our primary purpose is to have fun. After all, we’re here to pursue truth, defend liberty, and pursue fun.”

McIntyre’s Mock Rock goals seem to mirror those of Gallo-Zing, according to McIntyre RA and chore­o­g­rapher Sarah Garfinkle.

“Other than to absolutely demolish Simpson, the goal of our Mock Rock is to have fun, chal­lenge our­selves, and hope­fully sur­prise and delight our audience,” Garfinkle said.