Kaitilin Makuski is the newest Junior inde­pendent Student Fed­er­ation rep­re­sen­tative. Kaitlin Makuski | Courtesy

Student Fed­er­ation chose Kaitlin Makuski as the new junior inde­pendent rep­re­sen­tative last week, after the former rep­re­sen­tative resigned.

Student Fed has an atten­dance policy that allows four missed meetings. After junior inde­pendent Rep. Quinn Myers missed four meetings, the officers asked him whether or not he was able to con­tinue with the fed­er­ation.

“I wanted to pick up a few more hours at my job, meaning I would miss out on even more Student Fed meetings,” Myers said. “They asked me if I wanted to con­tinue with Student Fed, and I said no.”

It is common for stu­dents to choose not to return to the fed­er­ation for the next semester of their term. Freshman year is typ­i­cally the most com­pet­itive election year as many stu­dents decide to try it out since there is no incum­bency advantage, according to Senior and Vice Pres­ident of Student Fed Maria Theisen.

When posi­tions open up in the middle of the year, Student Fed creates a caucus made up of all the inde­pendent rep­re­sen­ta­tives. About two weeks ago, the officers notified the inde­pendent rep­re­sen­ta­tives to begin thinking about the process. After adver­tising, they received a few appli­ca­tions. Makuski was notified and accepted the position Sat­urday, Sept. 24th.

Each winter there’s an election for the new Student Fed members. Stu­dents are elected for the fol­lowing two semesters until the next election. Therefore if elected as a freshman inde­pendent rep­re­sen­tative, one will remain the inde­pendent freshman rep­re­sen­tative throughout the first semester of their sophomore year until re-elected for the next year. The fed­er­ation has two inde­pendent rep­re­sen­ta­tives from each grade other than the senior class, a rep­re­sen­tative from each greek house, a graduate school rep­re­sen­tative, and four officers, totaling 19 members.

A rep­re­sen­tative must care about campus life and be fully invested in the needs of the student body. The job involves making choices between which clubs get certain funds, so being objective in those sit­u­a­tions is important, according to Sophomore Inde­pendent Rep­re­sen­tative Matthew Clark.

“We’re here to serve the student body,” Clark said. “We really value indi­viduals who are willing to take time out of their very busy lives to help lead.”

Theisen said bias has never been an issue on Student Fed, and they intend to keep this tra­dition of impar­tiality alive.

Aside from the three girls who are the rep­re­sen­ta­tives for the three sorority houses, Theisen was the only elected female on Student Fed until now.

“I’m really excited for her to come on with us,” Theisen said. “Girls are often deterred freshman year from running because they don’t know if they’ll go greek, and guys already know if they’re greek or not. And once you’re elected freshman year, usually the same people run again and again so it just creates this trend that there are a lack of girls.”

Makuski will be joining Student Fed at their next meeting on Thursday, Oct. 5th.

“I’m excited to get to work and to hope­fully provide a new per­spective as the only inde­pendent female in the Student Fed­er­ation,” Makuski said in an email.