Light­house received funds from Student Fed­er­ation to fund a vis­iting speaker. | Facebook

Student Fed­er­ation approved two amend­ments, allo­cating funds to the Alexander Hamilton Society and Light­house clubs for future events at its Sept. 21 meeting.  

The Alexander Hamilton Society pro­motes dis­cussion of prin­ciples of foreign policy around campus, holding weekly lunch dis­cus­sions. The group requested $1,000 to fund future events and refresh­ments at their weekly foreign policy lunch dis­cus­sions.

The fed­er­ation approved a loan of $750, pro­vided the Alexander Hamilton Society return the money after its national orga­ni­zation reim­burses the club. Of that money, $500 is meant for special events, while $250 is for weekly meetings.

“I see a gap at Hillsdale as far as edu­cation and dis­cussion about present-day global affairs goes, and I am very encouraged that the Student Fed­er­ation is helping the Alexander Hamilton Society in our efforts to fill that gap,” said junior Pearce Pomerleau, pres­ident of Hillsdale’s chapter of Alexander Hamilton Society. “As our chapter of AHS grows, I am excited to see the fine minds of Hillsdale College examine the inter­na­tional issues of the day through the lens of the incredible edu­ca­tions they receive here.”

Although the club does have a national, parent orga­ni­zation, its events were only reim­bursed after the fact. This meant the club had to pay with funds out of its own pocket until they were reim­bursed. Instead of paying directly from the club, the Alexander Hamilton Society asked for a loan to cover these events.

The Fed­er­ation also nom­i­nated and elected non-member Austin Mock to serve as Sergeant in Arms. According to the federation’s bylaws, duties include, “assisting the Sec­retary with paperwork, room orga­ni­zation, and general effi­ciency of meetings.”

The club approved the allo­cation of $1,000 to Light­house, a club on campus ded­i­cated to spreading awareness and removing the stigma of mental illness.

The money will fund an event fea­turing Eric Hipple, former quar­terback for the Detroit Lions, who attempted suicide in 1998. He will speak about “Tackling Mental Health” on campus Sept. 28.

The fed­er­ation approved this dis­bursement pro­vided that any profits the club makes are either returned to the fed­er­ation or donated to char­ities.

“We’re thrilled about this, absolutely thrilled,” said senior Taylor Hannel, Light­house pres­ident. “This is going to be a great event, it will really draw a lot of people in. Getting this funding is really key.”

The fed­er­ation approved funds for Light­house, con­sid­ering the great impor­tance of mental illness awareness as well as the past success of pre­vious events hosted by the club.

“The Light­house event will be incredibly popular,” junior and financial com­mittee member Adam Cieply said. “Last year Light­house did some­thing with mental health and there were maybe 300 to 400 people who attended. This year, it’s going to be even more helpful because it has become an ever increasing and noticeable issue on campus.”

• HaroldAMaio

—removing the stigma of mental illness

From where?

From your mind? That is a task for you alone. (You can do it.)