2016 Hillsdale Homecoming King, Chris Pudenz, and Queen, Elise Clines | Courtesy Hillsdale Student Activities Board

Student Federation approved two amendments to its bylaws on Sept. 7 at its first meeting of the year.

The amendments are part of the student government’s goal to add more structure to the federation and resolve conflicts between its bylaws and constitution. The first amendment preserves the traditional seven nominations for senior Homecoming court. The second clarifies removal of representatives for poor attendance.

“When we came in, we realized that there were already some problems,” Student Fed President junior Andres Torres said. “We’re kind of at a really nice building spot. We’ve been doing a lot of changes.”

The homecoming court usually has seven nominations: three female seniors from each sorority with three male independent seniors to escort them and four male seniors from the fraternities with four female independents.

Hillsdale’s chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity, however, currently has no senior members. To prevent the court from dropping the fraternity’s position and an independent female, the new bylaw requires an independent senior take the open spot.

“The bylaw on the homecoming court is dealing with a problem that was never foreseen,” said Delta Tau Delta Rep. and junior Adam Cieply. “The federation has been committed to efficiency recently, and this bylaw covers all our bases for any future circumstances.”

Sigma Chi Rep. and junior Weston Boardman said the amendment provided the best solution for the situation.

“It ensures that the court does not have to remove a female nominee,” Boardman said. “Not having a senior representative for the court is not a big concern for us. We have a young and energetic group of guys that is focused on strengthening the house and attracting those who will be leaders on and off campus.”

The second bylaw fixed a conflict between a bylaw and a constitutional rule. If a member violates the attendance policy, two-thirds of the federation must vote to expel him or her. Prior to the amendment, the bylaws automatically dictated to remove the member, while the constitution specified Student Fed needed a two-thirds majority to expel the student from the group.

Additionally, the federation is working to update the list of campus clubs and is adopting standard operating procedures, or SOPs.

“Our main thing is just getting those SOPs done so that next year when people come in they know exactly what they’re doing,” Torres said. “So that’s the big project this semester.”