2016 Hillsdale Home­coming King, Chris Pudenz, and Queen, Elise Clines | Courtesy Hillsdale Student Activ­ities Board

Student Fed­er­ation approved two amend­ments to its bylaws on Sept. 7 at its first meeting of the year.

The amend­ments are part of the student government’s goal to add more structure to the fed­er­ation and resolve con­flicts between its bylaws and con­sti­tution. The first amendment pre­serves the tra­di­tional seven nom­i­na­tions for senior Home­coming court. The second clar­ifies removal of rep­re­sen­ta­tives for poor atten­dance.

“When we came in, we realized that there were already some problems,” Student Fed Pres­ident junior Andres Torres said. “We’re kind of at a really nice building spot. We’ve been doing a lot of changes.”

The home­coming court usually has seven nom­i­na­tions: three female seniors from each sorority with three male inde­pendent seniors to escort them and four male seniors from the fra­ter­nities with four female inde­pen­dents.

Hillsdale’s chapter of the Sigma Chi fra­ternity, however, cur­rently has no senior members. To prevent the court from dropping the fraternity’s position and an inde­pendent female, the new bylaw requires an inde­pendent senior take the open spot.

“The bylaw on the home­coming court is dealing with a problem that was never foreseen,” said Delta Tau Delta Rep. and junior Adam Cieply. “The fed­er­ation has been com­mitted to effi­ciency recently, and this bylaw covers all our bases for any future cir­cum­stances.”

Sigma Chi Rep. and junior Weston Boardman said the amendment pro­vided the best solution for the sit­u­ation.

“It ensures that the court does not have to remove a female nominee,” Boardman said. “Not having a senior rep­re­sen­tative for the court is not a big concern for us. We have a young and ener­getic group of guys that is focused on strength­ening the house and attracting those who will be leaders on and off campus.”

The second bylaw fixed a con­flict between a bylaw and a con­sti­tu­tional rule. If a member vio­lates the atten­dance policy, two-thirds of the fed­er­ation must vote to expel him or her. Prior to the amendment, the bylaws auto­mat­i­cally dic­tated to remove the member, while the con­sti­tution spec­ified Student Fed needed a two-thirds majority to expel the student from the group.

Addi­tionally, the fed­er­ation is working to update the list of campus clubs and is adopting standard oper­ating pro­ce­dures, or SOPs.

“Our main thing is just getting those SOPs done so that next year when people come in they know exactly what they’re doing,” Torres said. “So that’s the big project this semester.”