Two Hillsdale students are serving up a new opportunity for their classmates.

Sophomores Jillian Riegle and Zane Mabry are leading the revived Hillsdale College Tennis Club after a successful recruiting session at The Source, collecting more than 20 sign ups from students who are interested in continuing to play competitive tennis in college.

“We both played in high school, but when we got here, the varsity teams weren’t really an option, but we wanted to keep playing.” said Mabry, the club’s president.

The club has existed in the past but was discontinued a few years ago. After asking about it at The Source his freshman year, Mabry was encouraged by Director of Recreational Sports Brad Kocher to bring club tennis back to campus. In the initial meeting with Kocher, Mabry learned that Riegle, who is serving as vice president, was also looking into restarting club tennis.

Fortunately for Mabry and Riegle, there was already an account set aside for funding the club.

“The framework is already there, we just have to start it back up again,” Mabry said.

Kocher will serve as the club’s advisor and will continue to help Mabry and Riegle get the club up and running.

Riegle said she has high hopes for the club. She added that she would eventually like to see the team play competitive matches against clubs from other schools.

“This year, we might be playing a mix of both other teams and having matches between people on our own team,” Riegle said. “I think if we could get to a point where we could hold our own against other schools, that would be awesome.”

For students with a passion for the game, this is an outstanding opportunity.

“My goal is to get in some competitive tennis and forge friendships,” sophomore Quinn Crago said. “I started out playing tennis with my dad and going to tennis camps when I was 4, and I continued on until high school.”

The club will give students the opportunity to compete in singles and doubles matches, and will meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 7-8 p.m. at the Mary Jane Delp Tennis Courts. In the future, matches with other schools will be organized by Mabry and Riegle.

For now, members of the club simply look forward to playing the game that they love.

“I love playing competitive tennis and improving my skills on the court when it matters,” Crago said.

Anybody that wishes to get involved with the club should contact Mabry at zmabry@hillsdale.edu or Riegle at jriegle@hillsdale.edu for more information.