A Silent Auction will be held in the Grewcock Student Union Sept. 28 and 29 for recent hur­ricane victims. Eliz­abeth Bachmann | Col­legian

The Student Activ­ities Board is orga­nizing a hur­ricane relief silent auction, adding an element of phil­an­thropy to the spirit and fun of home­coming weekend.

This two-day event will take place Thursday and Friday and will raise funds for hur­ricane relief in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The event will take place in the Grewcock Student Union and is open to Hillsdale Stu­dents and faculty as well as the greater Hillsdale com­munity.

Dean of Women Diane Philipp was inspired to ini­tiate the project after hearing about the dev­as­tation in the wake of Hur­ricane Harvey in Texas.

“I believe it is a good thing for Student Activ­ities to host this event helping Amer­icans in need,” Philipp said. “When we live so far away, it is easy to become dis­con­nected from these dif­ficult sit­u­a­tions. The auction gives our campus an oppor­tunity to work together for a very good cause.”

Assistant Director of Student Activ­ities Hank Prim said a big reason SAB planned the event during home­coming weekend was they wanted to involve “all the dif­ferent niches around town,” as well as alumni and special guests.

“We want to make this a wide effort with all the dif­ferent parties involved,” Prim said.

Vis­itors will be able to vote on a variety of items, including gift cards and gift baskets from com­munity busi­nesses, and dona­tions from the Hillsdale College com­munity and faculty members. Some pro­fessors are donating dinner with their fam­ilies, while others are auc­tioning off signed copies of their books. There will also be oppor­tu­nities to win trips to the top of Central Hall, tours around campus, and parking passes.

Those who are not inter­ested in auction items can par­tic­ipate in a penny war, which will go on throughout the event, in addition to various spirit games where par­tic­i­pants can win prizes for guessing which teams will win the home­coming spirit week com­pe­ti­tions.

SAB will announce item and game winners after the auction closes Friday night. It will then donate all of the funds from the auction directly to the American Red Cross, which will allocate the funds from there.

“Red Cross told us just raising money is what they need most,” said Ashlyn Landherr, director of Student Activ­ities. “They get all these things donated but it’s hard to get them to the right people.That is why they asked us to raise money pri­marily.”

While this event was pri­marily orga­nized by the the Student Activ­ities Board, Prim and Landherr emphasize that it is a college-wide phil­an­thropy ini­tiative.

“We some­times get stuck in the Hillsdale bubble, and it is hard for us to reach out and make con­nec­tions across the country,” Prim said. “This is a cool oppor­tunity to help out, espe­cially in com­mu­nities that our college stu­dents, faculty, and staff call home.It really is a team effort and a college-wide ini­tiative, and we have been super lucky to get all the help from all the people we have.”