A Silent Auction will be held in the Grewcock Student Union Sept. 28 and 29 for recent hurricane victims. Elizabeth Bachmann | Collegian

The Student Activities Board is organizing a hurricane relief silent auction, adding an element of philanthropy to the spirit and fun of homecoming weekend.

This two-day event will take place Thursday and Friday and will raise funds for hurricane relief in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The event will take place in the Grewcock Student Union and is open to Hillsdale Students and faculty as well as the greater Hillsdale community.

Dean of Women Diane Philipp was inspired to initiate the project after hearing about the devastation in the wake of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

“I believe it is a good thing for Student Activities to host this event helping Americans in need,” Philipp said. “When we live so far away, it is easy to become disconnected from these difficult situations. The auction gives our campus an opportunity to work together for a very good cause.”

Assistant Director of Student Activities Hank Prim said a big reason SAB planned the event during homecoming weekend was they wanted to involve “all the different niches around town,” as well as alumni and special guests.

“We want to make this a wide effort with all the different parties involved,” Prim said.

Visitors will be able to vote on a variety of items, including gift cards and gift baskets from community businesses, and donations from the Hillsdale College community and faculty members. Some professors are donating dinner with their families, while others are auctioning off signed copies of their books. There will also be opportunities to win trips to the top of Central Hall, tours around campus, and parking passes.

Those who are not interested in auction items can participate in a penny war, which will go on throughout the event, in addition to various spirit games where participants can win prizes for guessing which teams will win the homecoming spirit week competitions.

SAB will announce item and game winners after the auction closes Friday night. It will then donate all of the funds from the auction directly to the American Red Cross, which will allocate the funds from there.

“Red Cross told us just raising money is what they need most,” said Ashlyn Landherr, director of Student Activities. “They get all these things donated but it’s hard to get them to the right people.That is why they asked us to raise money primarily.”

While this event was primarily organized by the the Student Activities Board, Prim and Landherr emphasize that it is a college-wide philanthropy initiative.

“We sometimes get stuck in the Hillsdale bubble, and it is hard for us to reach out and make connections across the country,” Prim said. “This is a cool opportunity to help out, especially in communities that our college students, faculty, and staff call home.It really is a team effort and a college-wide initiative, and we have been super lucky to get all the help from all the people we have.”