The Health and Wellness Center. Allison Schuster | Col­legian

The Hillsdale College Health and Wellness Center is searching for someone new to fill the role of their former massage ther­apist.

Rebecca Metroff ‘17, former massage ther­apist of three years left the health center in early August. She is now doing medical billing and coding in downtown Hillsdale.

According to Carol Drews, nurse, massage therapy helps with ben­efits such as muscle relax­ation, increase in blood flow, and, most com­monly, stress relief.

Drews said both stu­dents and faculty would come to see Metroff. Some stu­dents have already con­tacted the health center, inquiring about the lack of massage ser­vices. Drews has referred them to a chi­ro­practor with a massage ther­apist in Hillsdale for the time being.

“As someone with chronic ili­otibial band syn­drome, I looked forward to having a licensed massage ther­apist available on campus,” freshman Julia Powell said. “It affects the mental well-being of both myself and all other stu­dents on campus.”

Although no on campus massage ser­vices will likely be available this semester, Director of Health Ser­vices Brock Lutz said he will be con­tacting a few people in the next couple of weeks to see if they are inter­ested in a position as the new massage ther­apist.

Lutz said finding a new massage ther­apist isn’t con­sidered a pri­ority at the moment.

“Just looking back on the last couple of years, it’s not a service that stu­dents and staff have used as much as we thought they would,” Lutz said. “So we’re thinking about taking a step back this semester.”