Hillsdale’s first and only candy store had its grand opening on Saturday.

Candy. Abby Liebing

Located at 4 S. Howell St., Small Town Sweet Boutique was crowded with people looking at the wide candy selection, enjoying the brightly colored displays.

“They were lined out the door at 10 a.m.,” store owner Danielle Brock said.“They were trying to get in at 9:30 a.m. We were just back here working back here and all of a sudden we look and there’s like a line going down either side of the street.”

The grey and bright blue walls were lined with candy, chocolates, and a drink cooler that held sodas called “Spazz Juice,” that read “drink this and feel less sucky…for an energetic freakout that will bother everyone.”

“Sweet Party” was spelled out with gummy worms, peeps, and candy buttons on a bright yellow wall in what will be the store’s party room. This room held table and chairs where guests enjoyed their cupcakes and candy while playing “Bean Boozled,” a game in which players spun a wheel to receive a flavored jellybean. Every color of jelly bean represented two different flavors — one good and one bad. Brown jelly beans could be chocolate flavored, or they could taste like dog food. Blue jelly beans could taste like fruit or toothpaste.

In front of the cash registers a long line of people waited to purchase their candy. The line was almost out the door, but people didn’t seem to mind the wait.

“It’s been busy but everybody has been kind, everybody’s been patient.” Brock said. “They don’t mind the line.”

As excited new customers continued to walk into the Sweet Boutique, the line got longer. It was busy, but children and adults alike continued to smile.

“Everybody was like, ‘We’re going to be back next week.’” Brock said.