Many stu­dents avoid seeing movies in the theater because, let’s face it: Watching them at home on Netflix is a whole lot cheaper. But there’s another cost-effective route for those who want to see a variety of movies without breaking their pock­etbook.

A program accepted at Hillsdale’s Pre­miere Theatre allows stu­dents to avoid the high cost of theater atten­dance: With MoviePass, you can see up to a movie a day for only $10 a month.

At Pre­miere Theatre, a matinee costs $6, so even if you only see two movies a month, you save money with MoviePass.

“This is a great way to stay current on movies,” senior Noah Weinrich, who has taken advantage of MoviePass, said in an email. “I would def­i­nitely rec­ommend it. So far it’s very straight­forward and works with all the the­aters near Hillsdale. I gen­erally see maybe a movie a month, but with this service I’ll probably see at least two or three every month.”

Weinrich said the first movie he plans to see this semester is “It,” which he has been antic­i­pating for months. MoviePass sub­scribers’ choices are limited only by what movies the local theater is showing at any given time.

When you sign up for a sub­scription, you receive your MoviePass card. An app on your phone lets you choose what movie you want to see and what time you want to go. Then, when you show up to the box office or kiosk, your card allows you to see your movie. Too bad MoviePass doesn’t offer dis­counts for the popcorn.

Previous articleAfter 9/11: The towers that still stand
Next articleAlumni come home to the Dale for art exhibit
Nolan Ryan
Nolan Ryan is a junior from northern Michigan, studying English and journalism. He is this year's News Editor at the Collegian, as well as a student writer with the marketing department. This summer, he is interning with the editorial and news sections of the Detroit News. You can find him reading good poetry and trying desperately to be better at appreciating art. Email: nryan1@hillsdale.edu | Twitter: @NolanRyan76