Home­coming spirit week is too much.

The Student Activ­ities Board sweats throughout the year to provide campus-wide parties, open mic nights, trips out of town, and fun runs. For that, we should all say thank you. But spirit week has dorm-dwelling stu­dents saying “have mercy” as they compete in, or totally ignore, the eight events squeezed into a single week.

It hasn’t always been this way. Though an official record of spirit weeks past does not exist, Director of Student Activ­ities Ashlyn Landherr said the events campus has com­peted in this year grew out of a smaller home­coming agenda that, in 2009, con­sisted only of golf cart-dec­o­rating com­pe­tition fol­lowed by a parade of the festive vehicles.

Today, stu­dents bank their vol­unteer hours, pose for a photo, chow down on wings, tape together a trophy, film and edit a video, create a mas­ter­piece out of a banner, and, of course, put hours of practice into a dance routine that will inevitably, if history proves any­thing, lose to Simpson.

Some stu­dents do enjoy them­selves in the craze of spirit week.

“I’ve gotten to get to know people better and create com­munity,” sophomore Ade­laide Holmes said. “It’s fun to have a cause to fight for.”

Spirit week can be a lot of fun, and if it bonds stu­dents together, then it’s probably worth it. But it can also be a lot of work — too much work for a com­pe­tition that has nothing to do with alumni coming back to Hillsdale.

“Home­coming is a lot of fun, and it’s a good way to bring the res­i­dents together in a par­ticular dorm, or dif­ferent dorms together. It’s really ben­e­ficial for res­ident life,” Benzing Head Res­ident Assistant Macy Mount said. “But for the res­i­dents and par­tic­u­larly the RAs, it’s really hard work, and a huge time commitment.And it some­times puts more stress on RAs than I think is nec­essary.”

Student Activ­ities Board needs to scale back spirit week com­pe­ti­tions by cutting at least half of this year’s events. Mock rock itself demands so many hours that it should be com­ple­mented only by easy and quick events like the photo, the trophy, and maybe the banner.

Home­coming week should not feel like hell week. It’s time to reign in the fun before it gets even more out of hand.