The new owner of Jilly Beans has given the coffee shop a new identity, adding new hours, new foods, and a new look.

Res­i­dents dress up for a tea party hosted Jilly Beans. Julie Havlak

Jilly Beans will now stay open on Sundays until 7 p.m. and on Tuesday until 10 p.m.— later hours to accom­modate college stu­dents.

“From my per­spective as a college student, I know what it’s like in the semester, and how stressful it can be,” Katie Crowley, who helped brain­storm the new hours, said. “I just thought what I would like a coffee shop where you can get some drinks, some food, where you can decom­press and work in a place close to school, but not your library or your room.”

Mary Ellen Sattler, who pur­chased the coffee shop in May, added chicken que­sadillas, a dark roast coffee, and a new quiche to the menu. She said she is con­sid­ering intro­ducing pumpkin bread and apple cider for Hal­loween, and Christmas cookies for December.

“I thought we could have some special things we can do at the hol­idays, when it is probably hard for stu­dents to be away from home for the first time,” manager Julie Crowley said. “Jilly Beans is not the dorm room. It’s kind of a homey place where they can get some­thing to eat and feel like they are a home away from home.”

The shop has also been redesigned. The walls are freshly painted and dec­o­rated with pho­tographs taken by Sattler’s sister. A blue moose hangs beneath the clock.

The secret garden has been reimagined as a whim­sical fairy garden. Sattler planted new flowers, bought new fur­niture, and, after a five-year-old girl con­fronted her about homeless fairies, she added fairy houses to the garden.

“She was just so deter­mined, like, ‘That fairy needs a house,’” Sattler said. “These kids’ imag­i­nation is really what pushed the garden over the top. We were talking about getting a little bridge and putting trolls under­neath it for the boys. Why not have some fun? If they can have an imag­i­nation and an adult can share that with them, that’s great.”

The secret garden has also become a event space for wed­dings, bridal showers, and birthday tea parties. Sattler has hosted two wed­dings already, and hopes to bring live music into the shop.

Cus­tomers say Sattler has kept the old atmos­phere of Jilly Beans alive.

“The atmos­phere has con­tinued. With new owners, you can’t always say that,” Hillsdale res­ident Jan Perry said. “I was sad. Jill was great, and I miss her. But as soon as I saw Mary Ellen, it was ok. It felt right. You see Mary Ellen, and she’s smiling and happy all the time.”