Hops on the Horizon

Home City News Hops on the Horizon
Hops on the Horizon

Every time the Hillsdale Brewing Company has set its sights on a grand opening, another obstacle has commandeered the crosshairs.

Wikimedia Commons

Now, however, owners Roy and Felicia Finch believe that they have reached the final stretch, and hope to open the microbrewery and restaurant shortly after the new year, if everything goes as planned.

The process of turning the old hotel at 25 Hillsdale St. into a brewery and restaurant is now two years old, but the progress has been steady.

“When we started, the guy that does all of our metal work said, ‘You can’t eat an elephant in one bite,’” Roy Finch said. “So every little thing we get done is just another bite out of the elephant.”

Some bites out of this proverbial elephant were tougher to chew than others. Since purchasing the building, the Finches have replaced the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems, as well as most of the ceilings. Additionally, a broken sewer pipe last year delayed the construction of a new parking lot and driveway, which needed to meet the standards of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act. The list of obstacles goes on and on, and led one into another like a line of dominoes.

“Every time one deadline is not met, it pushes back another deadline,” Felicia Finch said.

Outside of the system overhauls, countless smaller and unforeseen issues have plagued the process. This included obscure fire codes, window guard rails, and much more.

“There were a lot of little things that sprang up … little codes that you don’t even think about,” Roy Finch said. “But now I think we’re through them and we’re trying to hit the finish line.”

Recently, the brewery took a huge step towards opening its doors, when the city approved the its certificate of occupancy.

“They have deemed it safe for the public to be here,” Roy Finch said. “So now it’s kind of on us to get everything going.”

Roy Finch said he plans to start brewing as soon as his new brewing equipment — a 2.5 barrel system — arrives.

All of this progress hasn’t come absent of hard work and sacrifice. The Finches said they have spent an average of 20 hours a week each working on the building, excluding the nights they have spent on air mattresses in the brewery and additional hours put in by friends. Both Roy and Felicia have full-time jobs, in addition to the brewery. Roy added that while they have tried to ask for extra help as little as possible, they have gotten it whenever they asked for it.

Both Roy and Felicia said though the finish line is in sight, it hasn’t sunk in yet.

“We’re still waiting on that point when it feels real. Every little thing we do feels nice, and one step closer,” Roy Finch said. “I don’t know when it will feel real. Maybe when we brew that first batch.”

When the brewery does open, it will carry eight beers on draft, all brewed by the Finches. Roy Finch said the plan all along has been to sell only beer brewed in house, which he said is the standard for micro-breweries.

Of these eight beers, five will remain relatively consistent and will feature some of their most popular beers. The remaining three taps will rotate between different microbrews, which will rotate to adjust for the seasons and to allow for experimentation and diversity. Each beer will be served over a bar top made from wood taken from an old Hillsdale College basketball court.

Hillsdale Brewing Company will also feature a full kitchen, serving flatbread pizzas, sandwiches, soups, salads, and more.

“We think this could be a place that really brings people in,” Roy Finch said. “You know, like, ‘Hey, they have a micro-brewery, let’s go over there.’ I know we’ve driven places just to go to a micro-brewery.”

Professor of Theatre James Brandon said he is looking forward to the opening, and he expects the brewery to do well.

“It will be great to have another place to socialize, and it’s exciting to have this opportunity in Hillsdale,” Brandon said. “The people in my circle have known about it for a long time, and are eager to see it open.”

Although the early 2018 goal is just an estimate, Roy and Felicia said they feel like they really are right there.

“This time, it actually is just finishing touches,” Roy said.