Robert Richardson | Courtesy

Robert Richardson, a Hillsdale College Trustee Emeritus and Indiana Businessman, passed away on Monday, July 17 at the age of 90 years old.

Rich Péwé, Hillsdale College’s Chief Administrative Officer, remarked on Richardson’s reputation as an “energetic and determined force for the good of this institution” in a press release sent out by the college earlier this summer.

Richardson, known affectionately as ‘Bob’ to family and friends, remained loyal to Hillsdale in every moment of his 25-year career on the Board of Trustees. He built two successful Indiana businesses—Timberbrock, Inc. and the Richardson Homes Corporation—and served as director of the Midwest Commerce Corporation and Midwest Commerce Banking Company.

Students see the evidence of Richardson’s faithfulness and commitment to Hillsdale in the use of the Richardson Heritage Room and the Richardson Commons in the Grewcock Student Union. Many students received an education from Richardson’s direct donations via the Tradition Award, Dow Journalism Scholarship, and the Beverly Richardson Aid fund.

“I can’t ever go in either of those two places without thinking about Bob’s personality, the friendships we shared, his boundless energy, and  his interest in supporting high learning and the cultivation of beauty,” Péwé said.

Richardson is survived by his wife, Sandy.

The funeral service in Richardson’s honor was held on July 22 in Elkhart, Indiana.

The Hillsdale Collegian sends its prayers and deepest condolences to the Richardson family and all those affected by this loss.