Robert Richardson | Courtesy

Robert Richardson, a Hillsdale College Trustee Emeritus and Indiana Busi­nessman, passed away on Monday, July 17 at the age of 90 years old.

Rich Péwé, Hillsdale College’s Chief Admin­is­trative Officer, remarked on Richardson’s rep­u­tation as an “ener­getic and deter­mined force for the good of this insti­tution” in a press release sent out by the college earlier this summer.

Richardson, known affec­tion­ately as ‘Bob’ to family and friends, remained loyal to Hillsdale in every moment of his 25-year career on the Board of Trustees. He built two suc­cessful Indiana busi­nesses — Tim­ber­brock, Inc. and the Richardson Homes Cor­po­ration — and served as director of the Midwest Com­merce Cor­po­ration and Midwest Com­merce Banking Company.

Stu­dents see the evi­dence of Richardson’s faith­fulness and com­mitment to Hillsdale in the use of the Richardson Her­itage Room and the Richardson Commons in the Grewcock Student Union. Many stu­dents received an edu­cation from Richardson’s direct dona­tions via the Tra­dition Award, Dow Jour­nalism Schol­arship, and the Beverly Richardson Aid fund.

“I can’t ever go in either of those two places without thinking about Bob’s per­son­ality, the friend­ships we shared, his boundless energy, and  his interest in sup­porting high learning and the cul­ti­vation of beauty,” Péwé said.

Richardson is sur­vived by his wife, Sandy.

The funeral service in Richardson’s honor was held on July 22 in Elkhart, Indiana.

The Hillsdale Col­legian sends its prayers and deepest con­do­lences to the Richardson family and all those affected by this loss.