Sophia Donohoe, assistant director of career ser­vices, tries out new Hand­shake app. Tess Skehan | Col­legian

Hand­shake has released a new app to replace its current one. While the old app merely took stu­dents to the company’s website, the new app is tai­lored to indi­vidual stu­dents.

Sophia Donohoe, assistant director of Hillsdale College’s career ser­vices office, said the new app has a “change in phi­losophy.” Hand­shake, a media company that partners with Hillsdale to connect stu­dents and employers, released the new app “Hand­shake Jobs and Careers” on Aug. 24. In the old app, stu­dents were required to scroll through a long list of generic appli­ca­tions, hoping they would find a job that inter­ested them.

“Hand­shake was helpful when I was looking for a job, but I often found myself con­fused by its orga­ni­zation,” sophomore Callaghan Hunt­ington said of the old app.

The new app allows stu­dents to provide their interests, and then in turn, the app sug­gests intern­ships or jobs to which they are likely to apply. Stu­dents who com­pleted and returned the pref­er­ences form sent with financial aid infor­mation this summer have already had this data entered into their Hand­shake account.

“Gen­erally, instead of stu­dents searching for jobs, they wanted Hand­shake to be more like Spotify or Netflix, where you tell them what your interests are, and it pushes things to you based on those interests,” Donohoe said.

The app will not only connect stu­dents with jobs, but will suggest careers in cities that match one’s interests. Jobs can be orga­nized into col­lec­tions such as “Artsy Cities” or “Foodie Cities.”

“Whether it’s getting a job, getting an internship, going to graduate school, or what cities you are inter­ested in working in, it pushes all to you,” Donohoe said.

In addition to using the app to find a job, there will also be a place where stu­dents sign up for time slots for both the writing center and career ser­vices.

“After doing some research this summer about how our peer insti­tu­tions are having stu­dents sign up for the writing center, we are moving to an entirely online sign-up system,” said Christina Maier, who works in both career ser­vices and the writing center, in a phone interview.  

This new system will prevent sched­uling errors easily made with the old system of signing up on a clip­board, as well as min­imize the number of times stu­dents would have to travel to the writing center to reg­ister for a time slot. Despite this new system, walk-ins are still welcome, Maier said.  

Senior Vic­toria Watson is a student affairs mentor in the career ser­vices office. She spoke to the ease of the new app, which is available now on Apple devices, and will be available to Android devices by Feb­ruary.

“I think it is very easy to interface with,” Watson said. “It is a great tool for stu­dents just starting out in the job or internship search.”