Sophia Donohoe, assistant director of career services, tries out new Handshake app. Tess Skehan | Collegian

Handshake has released a new app to replace its current one. While the old app merely took students to the company’s website, the new app is tailored to individual students.

Sophia Donohoe, assistant director of Hillsdale College’s career services office, said the new app has a “change in philosophy.” Handshake, a media company that partners with Hillsdale to connect students and employers, released the new app “Handshake Jobs and Careers” on Aug. 24. In the old app, students were required to scroll through a long list of generic applications, hoping they would find a job that interested them.

“Handshake was helpful when I was looking for a job, but I often found myself confused by its organization,” sophomore Callaghan Huntington said of the old app.

The new app allows students to provide their interests, and then in turn, the app suggests internships or jobs to which they are likely to apply. Students who completed and returned the preferences form sent with financial aid information this summer have already had this data entered into their Handshake account.

“Generally, instead of students searching for jobs, they wanted Handshake to be more like Spotify or Netflix, where you tell them what your interests are, and it pushes things to you based on those interests,” Donohoe said.

The app will not only connect students with jobs, but will suggest careers in cities that match one’s interests. Jobs can be organized into collections such as “Artsy Cities” or “Foodie Cities.”

“Whether it’s getting a job, getting an internship, going to graduate school, or what cities you are interested in working in, it pushes all to you,” Donohoe said.

In addition to using the app to find a job, there will also be a place where students sign up for time slots for both the writing center and career services.

“After doing some research this summer about how our peer institutions are having students sign up for the writing center, we are moving to an entirely online sign-up system,” said Christina Maier, who works in both career services and the writing center, in a phone interview.  

This new system will prevent scheduling errors easily made with the old system of signing up on a clipboard, as well as minimize the number of times students would have to travel to the writing center to register for a time slot. Despite this new system, walk-ins are still welcome, Maier said.  

Senior Victoria Watson is a student affairs mentor in the career services office. She spoke to the ease of the new app, which is available now on Apple devices, and will be available to Android devices by February.

“I think it is very easy to interface with,” Watson said. “It is a great tool for students just starting out in the job or internship search.”