Garden Party will be held Friday, Sept. 15 in the Arb. from 9 p.m. — 12 a.m. Student Activ­ities Board | Courtesy

For the first time since 2014, Garden Party will be held in its tra­di­tional location in Slayton Arboretum.

Since its debut in Sep­tember of 2005, the Garden Party has been a chance to show off the the arboretum in all its pre-autumn glory.

Garden Party has not always taken place in the same location. In 2015, SAB exper­i­mented with a dif­ferent location within the arboretum, and in 2016, it had to move the event indoors to the Searle Center due to inclement weather.

“This will actually be the first time since 2014 that the Garden Party is actually going to be in the western bowl of the arb where it’s tra­di­tionally been held,” Assistant Director of Student Activ­ities Hank Prim said.

Prim explained the event’s location in the arboretum is essential to its main idea.

“Whereas most of our other events are here on campus…the arb is kind of a unique envi­ronment in itself,” Prim said. “It’s a very dif­ferent atmos­phere than a lot of our other parties, which is why [Garden Party] is so special.”

Although Garden Party is scheduled for this Friday, that wasn’t SAB’s original plan.

“We planned to have it this Sat­urday,” Ashlyn Landherr, Director of Student Activ­ities said. “We realized halfway through the summer that our only home night football game was this Sat­urday, and we decided that it was important that those two things didn’t con­flict.”

Upper­classmen who have been to Garden Party in pre­vious years said they are looking forward to the event.

“My favorite part about Garden Party is, hands down, the oppor­tunity to have a more formal event,” junior Sam Cassels said.

Junior Molly Kate Andrews remem­bered her first Garden Party as a sort of girls night.

“In Olds [Res­i­dence], we would all kind of do our hair together and share lip­stick and stuff like that,” Andrews said. “Then we would go together in a huge pack.”

Andrews also said she enjoys that the event is open to the whole campus com­munity.

“Garden Party itself was always really fun, but it was more about seeing all the people on campus in one place at the same time,” she said. “People kind of come out of the wood­works, I guess.”

The SAB team has been working as far back as five months to make this classy night a moment not quickly for­gotten in the archives of Hillsdale College events. Jake Kenyon, SAB’s Cre­ative Team Leader, has high expec­ta­tions for the event.

“I think it’s going to be a really beau­tiful event and we’re going to have a lot of fun.”

The Garden Party will be held on Friday night from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. in the Slayton Arboretum.