Farmer’s Market offers homegrown food, homemade gifts

Home City News Farmer’s Market offers homegrown food, homemade gifts

On a cool, crisp autumn morning local farmers and artisans can be found bundled up, pitching tents, and rolling out their homegrown, handcrafted wares at the Hillsdale County Courthouse Square.

Jacquelyn Eubanks | Collegian

The Hillsdale County Farmer’s Market runs from May through October, and there are only seven Saturday mornings left until vendors pack up their crates, close their tents, and hunker down for the winter, concluding the market’s ninth year running.

There is something for everybody at the market, from fruits and vegetables to homemade soaps, honey, house plants, and knitwear. There’s also a friendly atmosphere that brings people back week after week.

“The vendors are pretty nice,” said Rita Wells, a participant in the market.

A vendor herself who sells beef, maple syrup, and sweet corn, Wells has been participating for two years.

“Everybody seems to be having a good time…everybody seems to enjoy being here,” said Linda Kidwell, a flower vendor who has been participating in the market for seven years.

Other towns have been hosting farmer’s markets for years, Kidwell said, and Hillsdale finally got to it.

The market started when a group of locals wanted to bring one to the town, said the market’s vice president Liese Szarafinski. She has been coming since its beginning, and she has witnessed it grow and blossom over the years.

“We’ve had more vendors and definitely more customers. We have a lot of traffic walk through now. We always have new people,” Szarafinski said.

Growth was slow for the first few years, and the market struggled to capture the public’s attention. Hillsdale residents and college students often confused this market, which is located at town square every Saturday, with the larger annual farmers market at the Hillsdale County Fairgrounds.

“They mistake it for the one at the fairgrounds, which is much more commercial,” Kidwell said. “These are all local people from Hillsdale County and surrounding counties, but they can’t be from far away. It has to be stuff they grew or made here.”

A steady string of regulars has been built over time, though. They enjoy the casual atmosphere, have plenty of fun, and look forward to seeing more new faces, Kidwell said.

“I really like the people. I love seeing regulars come every week and get excited about fresh produce and what we’re bringing in. It’s fun when the students come back and we can see a big influx of people. I like being involved in the community,” Szarafinski said.

To those who haven’t yet visited the little market on the square she says, “I hope people come.”

The market is open from 8 a.m. until noon every Saturday through the last Saturday of October.