About 100 Hillsdale County residents will gather at the Elks Lodge on Saturday to reap the benefits of a month-long local effort to benefit the community.

The Elks Lodge. Courtesy

At a luncheon, the Hillsdale Elks Lodge will grant $1,000 to the Hillsdale Salvation Army and distribute canned goods collected from a month-long food drive. Enough for 5,500 pounds of food, the donation will cover two months’ worth of expenses for the organization’s food pantry, said Kathy Stump, office manager of the Salvation Army. The pantry serves about 20 families a week, Stump said — more than 150 families in two months.

“We’re thrilled that they have selected the Salvation Army to be a recipient of a $1,000 grant,” Stump said. “This will definitely help a lot.”

Seventy-five people asked for tickets for the luncheon on Saturday, said Stump, who gave the tickets to clients of the Salvation Army’s community lunch program, food pantry, and fresh-food initiative. Attendees will receive the canned goods from the drive at the luncheon.

The grant came from the Elks National Foundation, which gave $1,500 to the Hillsdale Elks Lodge in honor of the foundation’s 150th anniversary, said Abbey Bauerly, secretary of the Hillsdale lodge.

Several local businesses are helping with the canned-food drive, including Frank Beck Chevrolet, St. Peter’s Free Clinic, and Hillsdale Market House.

Market House, which expects to collect as much as two semi-trucks’ worth of food in its own annual canned-food drive on Saturday, will donate about $100 of that canned food to the Salvation Army, store manager Mike Phillips said.

“It’s a nice way to be able to support the community,” Phillips said.

David Beck, sales manager for Frank Beck Chevrolet, said the car dealer has collected about 200 items so far.

“The Salvation Army does so many great things for individuals and families within Hillsdale County, it’s great to partner with them,” Beck said in an email. “These services have a huge impact on the Hillsdale community. There are individuals and families in need, and we, as community supporters, need to assist in this process.”