Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain uscourts.gov | Courtesy

An appointee from the administration of former President Ronald Reagan, Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, is coming to Hillsdale to speak on Thursday.

O’Scannlain is a senior judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, specifically presiding over the chambers in Portland, Oregon. O’Scannlain was appointed in 1986 and has written hundreds of opinions, most notably on constitutional and international law. His Thursday talk is titled “Neither Force nor Will: The Politicization of the Judicial Branch” and will be held at 8 p.m. in Phillips Auditorium. O’Scannlain is also currently teaching a weeklong seminar on campus on Constitutional interpretation.

“As many professors here are fond of saying, college is a partnership” Assistant to the President Jaclyn Case said in an email. “We all learn from one another, and when we bring in speakers from outside the college we have the opportunity to gain more knowledge and a new perspective. When those individuals have a long track record of sound thinking and good experience, there is wisdom to be found from talking with them.”

Several students said they are looking forward to attending the speech.

“The judicial branch has long been the branch of our government that is most resistant to political meddling,” freshman Max Troyke said. “I look forward to hearing Judge O’Scannlain speak on the disturbing trends of recent years and how we can potentially reverse them.”

Another student expressed similar feelings.

“I am excited for this opportunity to hear a political perspective from an alternate source, especially one with the experience and knowledge of Judge O’Scannlain,” freshman Matt Pfeifer said. “I look forward to this enlightening speech on some of the quintessential aspects of our government, those that cannot be overlooked.”