Wiki­media Commons.

Pro­fessors and graduate stu­dents signed an open letter to the stu­dents at the Uni­versity of Cal­i­fornia at Berkeley this week urging them to stay away from campus between Sunday and Wednesday to ensure their “physical and mental safety.”

The announcement came after Milo Yiannopoulos said he, Ann Coulter, Steve Bannon, and others will come to campus and speak for four days in cel­e­bration of free speech.

The signers at Berkeley want to deafen them­selves to the opinions of indi­viduals with opposing philoso­phies, claiming these right-wing celebrities will injure stu­dents through their harmful rhetoric.

Although we can laugh at the folly of those West Coast Liberal types, recently, the letter to the editor sub­mis­sions to The Col­legian have expressed a similar sen­timent.

In three letters, dif­ferent writers have sug­gested the editors should have refrained from pub­lishing certain opinion pieces because of their “offensive” nature or “lack of facts.”

The opinions page of The Col­legian helps to facil­itate the types of con­ver­sa­tions that have all but dis­ap­peared on other college cam­puses in response to rede­fined notions of liberty.

We assure our readers that we do our best to fact check and edit each piece for clarity and con­cision. These pages are meant to show the range of opinions on campus, and we look to publish those that are plau­sible, well expressed, and con­tribute mean­ing­fully to dis­course.

It is not the duty of the editors of this page to change opinions into milk-toast, easy-to-swallow posi­tions.

We only have what stu­dents, faculty, staff, and com­munity members send us. We try to include as many pieces as pos­sible and work hard to edit stories to make them readable and per­suasive.

If you would like to take issue with a piece, we invite you to write a letter to the editor or an op-ed explaining the issue. Send sub­mis­sions to jpaladino@hillsdale.edu by Sat­urday. This con­tinues the con­ver­sation and does not try to stultify public dis­course.

While those at Berkeley look to squelch free speech, The Col­legian is seeking to print material that Hillsdale stu­dents should read and discuss.

Let’s work together to make this section a platform for con­ver­sa­tions worth having.