Hillsdale City Clerk Stephen French was placed on unpaid administrative leave Monday for violating the city’s social media policy.

Wikimedia Commons

City Manager David Mackie said French sent an “inappropriate” email to a Hillsdale County resident.

Mackie said this was the first time the city has enforced its social media policy, which states city employees can’t “discriminate or harass residents while in office” and that they must “maintain the city’s reputation” both on and offline.

The resident — identified on social media as Marcy Almay — was active in voicing criticisms of French, setting up Facebook pages for that purpose.

In his email to Almay, French referenced an alleged arrest of Almay’s in 2014.

French sent the email after Almay allegedly circulated a story about his past. In 2009, according to MLive, French was arrested in Ohio for soliciting a prostitute and handling a firearm while intoxicated.

“My friends called and told me you sent an email. Just wanted you to know anyone can cut and paste,” French said in the email, implying he would spread information about Almay.

French could not be reached for comment. Mackie said French is scheduled to return to work on Thursday.

“Most employees and elected officials abide by common-sense rules,” Mackie said. “This was an example when an employee didn’t keep himself in check. Stephen was aware of the violation. He felt like he was repeatedly attacked, and he fell victim to responding in an inappropriate manner.”

Mackie said he hopes this incident proves to be an example of how influential social media can be.

“We felt this needed to be addressed,” he said. “But we hope we won’t have to address it again in the future.”

• Marcy Almay

This story was obtained by Hillsdale City Council Candidate Penny Swan INFORMING on me for my identity, which then had the reporter Kaylee McGhee commit fraud to obtain information and intellectual property from me that she agreed would not bear my name. Read the actual words of Kaylee McGhee of how AFTER she got 10 hours worth of information, she unethically revoked her consent not to publish my name, claiming I post on social media so she and all the Collegian’s editors felt it legally ok to invade my privacy for their story, which they COULD NOT have got without filing a Freedom of Information Act Request, which you can read in Kaylee’s own words, she was simply not wanting to do. This is a disgusting show of how morals, ethics and virtues are NOT taught at Hillsdale College. Richard Pewe is aware of this situation and apparently acquiesced to this fraud committed against me, so I’m seeking an attorney and suing the Hillsdale College Board of Trustees so look forward to seeing all of this and more whistleblowing about non education related actions done by this non profit “religious” college in a court of law. The funny thing is, to read this? She wrote the story ABOUT ME, not about the city official that victimized me and got suspended, and her intentional and careful manner of mentioning me several times shows her lack of integrity and malicious intent to cause me emotional harm. See you in court, Collegian.
    https://www.facebook.com/1274483399329471/photos/a.1274581079319703.1073741827.1274483399329471/1274581029319708/?type=1&theater

• Penny Swan

Informing??? I tagged Kylee in a post and sent her a screenshot of the post. Trying to champion your cause Marcy, I am absolutely against Mr French’s actions, and the stupid social media policy that the City of Hillsdale has. They needs a morals and ethics policy.

• Marcy Almay

Look, you attack EVERYONE for being “negative” but guess what? Life ain’t no “Tony Robbins” seminar and I’m not him. I stand by every word I say because I vett it out legally, and completely and would go to court and defend EVERY WORD of it and win. The problem with people like you is that you claim you’re some big hero, then you tell people to shut up and not use their Constitutional right to speak their mind freely about their government. Guess you don’t recall trolling me all over Hot Debates tattling on me like a child, claiming I’m name calling or bringing up subjects too much. I didn’t ASK for your critique, but it says a whole lot about the kind of person and problem you would be IF you got on council. As I told you then, and will reiterate, you are NOT my boss and whatever delusional universe you live in, trust me, I want no part of it. French is, and was hired to be, a THUG for the city offices and will remain such for you, Stockford as mayor, nothing will change around here until we get a strong, UNcorrupted prosecutor who isn’t partnering with criminals around here and pardoning public integrity crimes done to citizens. I’m sorry to explain reality to you Penny, the Hillsdale City Council is about as important to this world as an ant, and so is your vision of this area. If Briner beats you, its because you guys should have brought French’s election fraud to the feds weeks ago, and didn’t want to be “negative’. However, attacking your supporters? (((Winks!))) that’s all good, right? I would suggest you go attack someone who cares, and be a control freak to them, not interested and not in the mood to listen to it, as you probably note by the fact I’m bothering to respond to you at all, which I used to NOT do out of respect, but hey, you want to argue? Make a fool out of yourself! Again, I’M not running for office!

• Joseph Hendee

There still is freedom of speech Penny. Marcy has been spot on on a lot of issues. I might not always agree with her methods but she is one dam good researcher.

• Joseph Hendee

I don’t agree with the name calling though.

• Joseph Hendee

When I say spot on I mean issues in local government.

• Marcy Almay

See, that’s the thing, Penny has spent so much time worrying about policing others that her message gets lost. I didn’t agree with a few things you posted Joe, and labels you gave people, but I didn’t say a word about it, because why? That’s YOUR opinion and I respect your right to HAVE ONE! That’s America. Worrying about how someone says something is simply petty, there’s nothing in the Constitution that requires people to be nice about the government when they screw over the public. I don’t even know what she stands for, I just know that she nit picks people a LOT for their personal thoughts and she demanded outright that I stop speaking out about things because it was making her look bad that Hillsdale Hot Debates is associated with HER! She wants to be government employee as an elected official, she should know that she has no right to CENSOR private citizens before she starts doing a Patrick Flannery head spinning Exorcist “you all all devils” speech too! Really, the worst thing about this area is that people learn nothing from the mistakes of the past, she’s acting like a cookie cutter version of the SAME OLD THING that didn’t work for years now. I don’t exist to hold Penny’s hand into office, the city is a big shark tank and that’s no place for a small fish. Instead of defending her, tell her “toughen up buttercup!” because her trolling me and responding to everything I say? WHO CARES what I say, I’m nobody, she might want to start worrying about what her ward’s constituents say instead.

• Penny Swan

Maybe you should actually talk to the person you are accusing before blasting it all over the World Wide Web.

• Marcy Almay

Penny are you serious? This reporter WROTE to me and said that you, a city council candidate, told her the gossip fast. It’s my fault for trusting the sleazy reporter that lied to me about not using my name, but maybe you should take your admonishments to HER for using your name, maybe sue the Colleigan? Oh, sorry, I forgot, you CAN’T because you’re too busy becoming the exact type of person that you claimed you hated for all those years of being on the sidelines. Really Penny, I’ve listened to your constant whining about your victimhood in the city offices for the past few weeks, it’s really painful to endure, but please, (((steps aside)) give yourself another forum to listen to yourself show people exactly why they should NOT vote for you! Lucky me, I won’t ever run for office and I’m obviously not in a popularity contest. Have at it girl! Just remember, you came on here opening your big mouth at me, so if it costs you votes, oh well.
        https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/284ed69817350a0851236a599b35e6c7e0d48ec80e2735311af8d7601c7ae8a0.png

• Penny Swan

My eyes are wide open now!

• George Gibbs

You were winning me at first, Marcy — but then you rattled off an additional 13 VERY long-winded posts that (with all due respect) smack of “conspiracy nut”. Honestly, having no context on the story, to me this article makes the city official look worse than you … But then I scrolled down and read your suspiciously unhinged comments and screenshots, complete with unnecessary threats against everyone and everything. Sorry, this is how you resign potential allies.

• Marcy Almay

I’m sorry you don’t approve of what I post, how much of it I post or what I say. Thanks for the personal attack though, you’re trash to speak to a woman that way, guess Stephen French has some like-minded fans, which is NOT surprising!

• Joseph Hendee

Marcy has been spot on on many issues George.

• Marcy Almay

It’s ok Joe, don’t defend me. He must not be able to read or something, it’s no worries about ignorant hicks coming after me, I don’t see their lazy a**** worrying about how bad crime is, the guy probably lives elsewhere and gets a free Imprimis on our tax money and thinks he knows something because some religious school told him what to think about politics, LOL! The Imprimis “warriors” really should just say thanks for the free magazine subscription, it’s so thankless being one of the taxpayers burdened with Larry Arnn’s subversive propaganda machine’s costs. Hey George? Just be a gentleman and say thanks for the free stuff next time.

• George Gibbs

I don’t doubt it, Joseph. But this is an incredible amount of political outrage and muckraking for a country town of a few thousand people and a little college. Granted, I might just not know how the Internet works when it comes to what people like this post online for all to see, but I almost feel like the police ought to pay Ms. Almay a visit to make sure she isn’t a danger to herself or others, potentially one day subject to her escalating notion of “justice”. She sounded like she’s already threatening to sue a student journalist, after all.

• Joseph Hendee

she is not a danger to herself or anyone else George. People might think the same of me for all I know. Just the suggestion in my opinion is wrong.

• Marcy Almay

Joe, for real, he’s probably Stephen French on some fake profile whining about people daring to expose what the Mayor should have from the start, it’s not a big deal, the guy can think whatever he wants, send allll the cops he wants, who cares? LOL just costs taxpayers money, and remember, I live in the county, the sheriff’s respect free speech. Obviously, this shill wants to throw shade to cover for facts offered. Again, I don’t need defense from anyone, the fact stands, I didn’t run for office, I’m not a city employee, but attacking the public for speaking out is just the way that city is! Look at how they went after Jeff King and tried to get him arrested, they do this all the time, no worries!

• George Gibbs

But in your dispute with the city and the press, which COULD be legitimate, you nonetheless took the time to post — for example — a screenshot of the college’s president making an obvious joke in an interview about the volume of Catholic students on his campus. I ask: What does that have to do with anything? It damages my ability, as a member of the public, to take your legal cause seriously when you issue total “red herrings” against tangential parties that you (I assume) just happen to dislike. If you care so much about the real issue, then stay focused and diplomatic. Otherwise you make yourself easy to discredit. That’s my advice, take it or leave it.

• Marcy Almay

Would you like to say that in a court of law sir? It’s really pathetic that the best you can contribute is ignorance, but hey, send the police so I can get the complaint and know where to serve a lawsuit for what you posted about me on here.

• Marcy Almay

And by the way? What Stephen French did to me is not a violation of the city’s social media policy, its a FELONY under the Michigan Penal Code. He stalked, harassed, investigated and terrorized a private citizen in an effort to deprive her of her civil rights to free speech, peaceful assembly, right of grievance, and freedom of expression. The reporter who ran this “poor Stephen French” fluff piece for the city left out that he was kicked out of his clerk’s job in Kalamazoo for violating election law by TWICE counting absentee ballots without a witness, which could easily fix an election in a small town like Hillsdale is, and they left out that French was CONVICTED, taking a plea deal on his arrest in that prostitution sting. Mackie, the Mayor, they KNEW this man was a danger to the public when they hired him, then when he commits a felony on city time from a city email account from city computers, they claim he was “harassed”? The statements in this article show that the city of Hillsdale is willing to risk the safety of private citizens just to cover for their hires, which are trending to be people with serious criminal pasts, which post a threat to public safety, but apparently, being spoon fed sound bytes by the city manager (who himself was thrown out of the city of Taylor Michigan for million dollar shortfalls in his department, AND was investigated for selling unregistered securities, which he admitted to during his interview process with the city and has serious credit problems which make his ability to be trusted with YOUR TAXES be in doubt) is enough for a reporter who seemingly wants to target the private citizens who dare speak out around here, and vilify them, from a college who doesn’t seem to care about free speech, peaceful assembly, freedom of expression, right of grievance or even SIMPLE INTEGRITY at all. But the inaccuracy of claiming that some tiny city in rural Michigan can overthrow not just the Michigan Penal code “by policy” but all rights of an individual under the US Constitution is laughable. Thought I’d let that be known as well, what Stephen French did by stalking a critic from the city offices embezzled hours of taxpayer time doing things he was not hired to do, which is par for him, he’s on social media on taxpayer time ALL DAY LONG trolling for any critics of city officials and threatening people to not dare speak out about the lack of character of the officials in Hillsdale.
    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/62c281f10ea5b02a5e602ecc65a4f100d0e37b4e2c13b4ef38f73fb591668bf4.png

• Marcy Almay

Free Speech, Peaceful Assembly, Right of Grievance, Freedom of Expression, civil rights all. Actionable if abridged by any local, state or federal policy, spoken or otherwise shown in patterned behavior.
    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/bf170d552af250d06675920c0b76f748676055a8a970097549ddf7ec1304e0f8.png

• Marcy Almay

Apparently, David Mackie likes having “muscle” that shuts the public up, doing his dirty work FOR him. To launch a defense by calling free speech “harassment” is the most alarming this this story exposed. Stephen French posted clearly and without shame on his personal page that he would go after anyone who criticized ANY of his colleagues, this months ago, and stalking the public seems to be part of his very job description now, according to Mackie’s defense of his actions as somehow justifiable. So just know, I am not the only one French went after, nor will I be the last, he apparently is there to keep the public in line. None of that FREE SPEECH stuff in Hillsdale, right?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/e551c0bba40bcd08b6f4c0b4731f33ee52f9f2bd20bd302c029c80074b24bb30.png

• Marcy Almay

Hillsdale College Treasurer Patrick Flannery is one of those who luxuriate under the protection that Stephen French affords council, and he can’t handle it at all when people bring grievances to the city, I was expecting his HEAD to spin 360 degrees at any second while watching him on the city council meeting where he marked the public with 666 from his city council seat, cursing them as devils, it was really sad to watch, but indicative of how Hillsdale College is cranking out free Constitutions but apparently not teaching that pesky equal protection under the law stuff very well, nor all the rights citizens have to freely speak about public officials or taxpayer paid appointees or contractors. If the college is proud of this man, that would be the saddest commentary of all on how Hillsdale College is NOT a religious school, but a very nasty political non profit with a educational cult as a side business. This reporter breaching an agreement the publication made with me is just another show of just how bitterly entwined with politics the school really is.

https://livestream.com/accounts/9325819/council/videos/161652498

://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/4568599d822f70dcfec869df9492ea8962cbc11f1fa2154b71f33e953bc4f530.png

• Marcy Almay

(Cont’d) Patrick Flannery, Hillsdale College Treasurer who doubles as a City Councilman was defending Jason Walters, who terrorized a young woman by holding her hostage, making her think she was going to be killed, just so he could steal money. The city’s decision to hire an armed hostage taking thief was not just heinous, being Michigan is #2 in the nation for Human Trafficking and no one SUPERVISES Walters at the airport, and none of his supporters posted bond to assure taxpayers won’t be liable for damages that may result from hiring such a ridiculous choice to run an airport with full autonomy, but then, the College’s Richard Pewe gave Walters an 8 million dollar terminal project to raise funds for, this just a decade or so after the man was let out of prison for his crimes. But you know, as you watch several grown men, city legislative officials have what Councilman Watkins called a “love fest” for Walters? It amazed me that not ONE of those men found it to be insensitive to the victim of Walter’s horrible act, a victim who has had her life ruined by severe trauma from Walter’s actions, not one council person spoke out for an innocent person whose entire life was ruined, who has to read about and hear about this “prom queen” Walters has become, yet the council thinks it’s great because he looks better than he did the day he grabbed the woman from her home at gun point and terrorized her and her family for hours, costing the public a SWAT team to save her. For not one man to care about what was done n to Mrs. Goodlock is the most tragic thing about the city of Hillsdale, even beyond the threats and menacing behavior of the city clerk, the other criminal recently put in charge of high traffic public contact, a man who has a criminal history he plead guilty to for wielding a gun drunk AT POLICE! Too bad police aren’t with every citizen around here when Stephen French is threatening them. What a damned shame this area is. Seriously sad and shameful

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/c279a986f992f804811e44707ec99864da65253738d9750ae390f209c312e46d.png

• Marcy Almay

Sick of the tone around here that corruption is an elitist “right?” because prosecutor Brady is employed by Hillsdale College and relies so heavily on their support in his elections that anyone who works for the college is SCARED to speak the truth about how victims have zero rights around here? Brady runs a criminal defense firm out of the prosecutor’s office, it’s disgusting. Maybe the “religious” college should drain their OWN swamp and keep their administrative officials out of our government, and stop threatening the jobs of people who use free speech around here, and not hire our elected officials to work for the non profit religious school. Then maybe Brady would have time to address the very serious problem with hard drugs this community has, maybe Gary Wolfram wouldn’t be profiteering off the city contract by getting paid by private marijuana lobbies to push marijuana shops onto the city while being a city employee, but maybe we’d have a TRIAL around here if Brady wasn’t so busy running around the college giving filthy looks to critics, right?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/24b31c91601afd36aed7c2b689bf75c4d8b9d30e4fb070cb588fdb5c329d35ce.png

• Marcy Almay

So yes, this reporter sure got one up on me! She played me for a real fool, someone who had no idea that the college newspaper editors would print my name no matter WHAT she agreed to, after she got all the information she needed, which stopped her from having to make a FOIA request, and allowed her to write how the city is being victimized by people who are sick of them hiring criminals that strong arm the Constitution right out of the citizen’s hands, and think they can commit criminal acts in office since Brady doesn’t prosecute public integrity crimes. https://www.facebook.com/199837823686432/photos/pb.199837823686432.-2207520000.1505409721./422396121430600/?type=3&theater

• Marcy Almay

Richard Pewe, the Chairman of the Airport Advisory Committee for the city of Hillsdale did this, assured an 8 million dollar private/public partnership would be controlled fully by a convicted armed hostage taking thief that prosecutor Brady was in the PA’s office and KNOWS committed a frighteningly heinous crime that traumatized a young girl for life. What’s next, what if Walters wants millions, shouldn’t Pewe be worried that he’s giving big donor lists to Walters, and Walters might decide to ditch the airport and hold some billionaire hostage for a big payoff and fly away to some area that doesn’t extradite? Pewe can say he trusts Walters, but why hasn’t he bought an insurance policy for taxpayers to assure that the ONGOING work Walters is doing to raise cash for that expansion won’t put taxpayers at risk? I mean, Pewe being out in the city messing with government business means the college could be liable for whatever he does to risk tax money, are you guys insured for armed hostage taking that your CFO facilitated big donors to be at risk of on an ongoing basis?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/42b011cb36de1888e6f3de745dd283606198a9ec95edb49e8e0df348df155d4b.png

• Marcy Almay

Hillsdale College has had this community under a hostile takeover for a while now, in every manner they can. I am not ashamed to say I think it’s disgusting, and violating of separation of church and state to have a religious college so heavily taking over local taxpayer funded services, but I will tell you, this completely shocking situation with the religious college’s newspaper really should alarm private citizens in this area for how anyone who invokes their constitutional rights gets attacked and “named” as a troublemaker. It’s really shameful that a simple agreement in what I claim was contractual, and that considerations were given but the collegian’s reporter failed to honor is just another show of how underhanded and ANTI christian Hillsdale College really is. But hey, she got my name out there, so anyone want to know anything else about the city, aside from them hiring criminals that risk people’s safety?

https://www.facebook.com/The-Hillsdale-Collegian-committed-Fraud-against-me-1274483399329471/

• Marcy Almay

Please don’t forget to hit “like” on the Stephen French page, where you can read the ACTUAL details and more articles and police reports from his prostitution arrest are forthcoming, people are sending tons of information to me, begging to have it posted so that the public knows about his violations of election laws and criminal past and threats to stalk any critics of ANY city officials! https://www.facebook.com/Hillsdale-Michigan-city-clerk-Stephen-Frenchs-prostitution-and-gun-charges-1695459097411181/

• Marcy Almay

And its just a suggestion, but maybe you guys should do a story on your school’s president claiming to have a plan for the persecution of Catholics. I sure didn’t think his disgustingly insensitive remarks were humorous. The last person that got a giggle out of religious persecution later killed 5 million Jews, is Arnn angling for THAT title next?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/1017e3c88b7b4736bffb5db03f6957a870bba80c2db649893013f86936bb44eb.png

• Marcy Almay

Still waiting for the answer from this religious school newspaper’s bosses, those who run Hillsdale College, to respond for why this reporter broke a contractual agreement with me AFTER getting the consideration of my cooperation in this article. I want her fired and disciplined by the administration for giving the college the image that they cannot be trusted, that they commit fraud to private citizens and that their religious school isn’t abusing their non profit educational status to interfere with governmental affairs by claiming this to be some boxing match instead of a public integrity crime committed against a private citizen unprovoked. Spinning this to make French into a victim is alarming. If he doesn’t want to be criticized then he never should have applied for the clerk’s job, go into the private sector where no one cares! But while you work for taxpayers, expect they’re going to assure you behave with integrity, and he clearly doesn’t in any manner, I’m not the only person he’s attacked, or restricted access to city services for and his public threats and claimed rights to investigate ANY critics of the city have been long term, this one back in March 2017. He NEVER should have been hired for a high public contact job, never takes any responsibility for what he does wrong, even back from when he was breaking election law back in Kalamazoo! So pretending this was all about me is tragic, and I want what the Collegian agreed to, I want my name removed from this article and I want her FIRED from that job for her complete lack of ethics and fraud she committed in the College’s name from their religious non profit’s newspaper. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/e551c0bba40bcd08b6f4c0b4731f33ee52f9f2bd20bd302c029c80074b24bb30.png

• Marcy Almay

This is who Mayor Sessions sent after the public to shut them up. This is who David Mackie claims is a victim