Charger Chatter: David Graham

Home Charger Football Charger Chatter: David Graham
Charger Chatter: David Graham

• How did you end up playing football at Hillsdale?
    • Honestly, I didn’t even know about this place until probably November of my senior year. That’s when I came on a visit. I felt it was the right place for me, and I am glad I made that decision.
  • How did you get your start playing football?  
    • My parents didn’t let me play when I was little, because they didn’t want me to get hurt. Once I got to a certain age, they were like, ‘Alright we’ll let you play.’ Then I just fell in love with it.
  • You had your first collegiate start two weeks ago. When did you know you were going to get the start?
    • I knew when Joe Reverman needed another surgery for his knee. That was back in June or July. Coach called me up and told me I was going to be the starter. Then I started preparing a little harder.
  • How did you prepare for your first start?
    • Really, it’s just a mental thing. I knew we had the best O-line, and we were set there. I knew I just had to do my part and try not to mess it up. I guess I just tried to make a name for myself.
  • You mentioned Joe Reverman, who was the team’s leading rusher last year. How did he help you prepare for your first start?
    • Joe is very good with the mental part of the game. He is a very smart running back and he’s definitely very talented, as well. Having him there to help me and the other running backs helps us a lot.
  • You mentioned the other running backs on the team. Yourself, Christian Shepler, and Casey O’Brien all rushed for career-high yardage in week one. What does that say about the team’s depth at running back this year?
    • Last year, we had only a couple of guys that would play, but this year we have three guys that love running the ball and love being on the field. We have three hungry guys and that makes it a lot more competitive.
  • Do you have any pregame rituals?
    • I usually don’t eat much, because I’m nervous. I like to lay down and just stare at the ceiling and wait for the game to happen. I hate waiting and I get very anxious. I don’t know, I guess I don’t have anything crazy that I do.
  • Who are your biggest influences in life and in football?
    • In life, probably my family. My parents work their butts off and they gave me a great life. I’m grateful for that and they’re a big influence on me. In football, there are a lot of guys I look up to. I look up to Chance Stewart. He’s a great motivator and a great teammate. Also Joe-Rev, he was ahead of me and he is just a great running back.
  • Which was a cooler memory: your first collegiate touchdown, or the blocked punt in last year’s win over Northern Michigan?
    • I’d have to say the blocked punt, because the game was going back and forth and it seemed like nobody had control of the game and then that play happened. It was just a great feeling. We’d been anticipating it the whole time and it was just a great feeling.
  • What is the dynamic like amongst the football team?
    • It’s a brotherhood. I don’t know how else to describe it. Everyone looks out for each other and it’s a close-knit group. It’s just like family.