Annual ‘Wild Bill’ 5K returns Saturday

Home Sports Annual ‘Wild Bill’ 5K returns Saturday
Annual ‘Wild Bill’ 5K returns Saturday

The annual “Wild Bill” Run Fun with coach Bill Lundberg is Saturday at 8 a.m. The run is a 5K, which starts and ends in Hayden Park. The route will weave around campus, going around the old quad, down Galloway Drive, and back to Hayden Park.

“The 5K is a fun run that we open up to the community, and it’s a free event,” Lundberg said. “It’s a run that brings together alums, current students, staff, and friends of coach ‘Wild Bill’ Lundberg.”

Registration will begin at 7:00 a.m., Saturday and the first 100 registrants will receive free T-shirts. There will be some door prizes raffled off during the post-race activities in addition to free food and refreshments.

“The first place finisher for men and women will also receive a gift from the Hillsdale College bookstore,” Lundberg said.

The 5K, started 15 years ago by Lundberg’s athletes, used to be a part of the Hillsdale College GINA Relays on Saturday, which was the last day of the meet.

“We moved it to Homecoming weekend four years ago in 2014 and it has become a popular run on campus as we welcome back our Charger alums, encourage our current students with their health and fitness, and invite our community and their families to see Hayden Park and experience our great college campus,” Lundberg said.

Lundberg has worked at Hillsdale since 1985. When he first arrived, he was the head coach of the cross country and track teams. Now, he is an assistant professor of sport studies, Hayden Park fitness and recreation director, and one of the most beloved coaches on campus.

Senior Isaac Dell described Lundberg as “exuberantly energetic.”

Dell has participated in the “Wild Bill” run the past two years and said his favorite part is simply “Wild Bill”.

“His energy makes you excited to get up early on a Saturday morning,” Dell said. 

If you head out to Hayden Park this Saturday morning, you’ll almost certainly hear Lundberg’s signature motto: “Fire up, and Go Chargers!”