(Back to front) Junior Chloe Rijke, junior Carrie Bie­ganek, Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Classics Eric Hutchinson, and Assistant Pro­fessor of Classics Laury Ward examine art.
Bryan Springer | Courtesy

Some 2,500 years ago, one indus­trious artist painted hun­dreds of ceramic Greek vases, adorning them with scenes of mil­itary and mythology. This year, the Princeton Uni­versity Art Museum orga­nized an exhi­bition of the anonymous Berlin Painter’s work, drawing more than 50 of the vases together from 15 private col­lec­tions from the British Museum to the Vatican’s Museo Gre­go­riano Etrusco.

On Sunday, several dozen stu­dents and pro­fessors from both the classics and art depart­ments visited the Toledo Museum of Art to see this exhibit. 

“It was a once-in-a-lifetime oppor­tunity to see all of these pieces from museums across Europe and the U.S. together in one place,” Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Classics Eric Hutchinson said.

Titled “The Berlin Painter and His World: Athenian Vase-Painting in the Early Fifth Century B.C.,” the exhibit includes dozens of vases painted by the Berlin Painter, as well as more than 80 vessels and stat­uettes from the time period. 

Named when a scholar studied one of his vases at the State Museum of Berlin, the Berlin Painter is char­ac­terized by the ele­gance and pre­cision of his figures.

Senior Rachael Reynolds said she appre­ciated the artistic tech­nique in his work. 

“Kind of amazing how they could actually pull that off,” she said.

Some vases were pieced together from frag­ments, but others were prac­ti­cally intact.

“The con­dition of most of the vessels is truly amazing,” senior Brian Hall said.

“It was a great oppor­tunity to see an exhibit I would not oth­erwise be able to,” he said.