The outside of the downtown market, which is set to reopen this fall.

Six months after accu­mu­lated back taxes buckled Broad Street Downtown Tavern and Market, the well-known restaurant is set to reopen its doors this fall.

Co-owners Ben Baldwin and Dallas Russell said they hope to give the space a new identity, by renaming it 55 Broad Street and labeling the market as a go-to spot for craft and domestic beers.

Baldwin, who also owns the Sand Lake Party Store, told the Hillsdale Daily News their short-term goal is to bring beer, wine, and even­tually liquor to downtown Hillsdale. The revamped tavern will also offer food, like chicken wings. The focus, however, will remain on pro­viding top-notch alcohol, according to Baldwin.

Hillsdale res­i­dents are looking forward to seeing the downtown-cen­tered business open its doors again. Penny Swan, a city council can­didate, said she thinks the new business will bring life to the downtown area.

“I think Broad Street opening back up is a huge benefit to downtown. It will bring more people to downtown which is always a great thing for other busi­nesses downtown,” she said in a Facebook message.  “It really has been kinda dead downtown since Broad­street closed.”

Broad Street was forced to close its doors in Feb­ruary, due to more than $18,000 in unpaid back taxes and high oper­ating costs. Despite pre­vious owners’ attempts to rebrand the popular market, Broad Street was not able to stay in business.

Jason Walters, former manager of the the Hillsdale Municipal Airport and the owner of JWA con­sulting group, told The Col­legian in Feb­ruary that the pre­vious owners asked his company to evaluate the restaurant’s financial sit­u­ation.

“The staff at JWA worked dili­gently and exhaus­tively to identify paths to success for Broad Street,” Walters said in a statement. “Unfor­tu­nately, based on the analysis per­formed by JWA, the owners of Broad Street Market Tavern have decided the best option is to close and focus on working on a plan to restructure Broad Street’s oper­a­tions.”

Josh Col­letta, a Hillsdale res­ident who once con­sidered himself a regular cus­tomer of Broad Street, said that in order to avoid repeating the pre­vious owners’ mis­takes, Baldwin and Russell should listen to what the com­munity wants.

“As strong and well-inten­tioned of an effort was made to make it some­thing of a nightlife hotspot, that wasn’t really what downtown needed from it,” Col­letta said in a Facebook message.  “If they stick to being a straight­forward, demand-based spe­cialty store, that, I think, is the way to go.”