Shortly after the ter­rorist attacks in London, Pres­ident Donald Trump began to voice his thoughts via Twitter. And as is become his habit, he did so reck­lessly.

Trump’s obsession with Twitter is hurting not only his agenda, but he is also embar­rassing the country and the con­ser­v­ative movement, which had hoped to make sub­stantive progress under this pres­ident.

But so far, the timeline of this admin­is­tration can be tracked by Trump’s Twitter ram­pages, which have only served to damage his rep­u­tation at home and abroad and keep people talking about every­thing except his goals. This week is the perfect illus­tration of how social media is ruining a pres­i­dency.

Three assailants killed seven people and wounded 48 others by ramming a vehicle into a crowd on London Bridge and then stabbing people in nearby Borough Market.

Even as the victims’ bodies hit the London pavement, the leader of the free world retweeted an uncon­firmed rumor from the Drudge Report.

At the time, there was no way to know if the tweet was accurate and British author­ities had yet to make an official statement. Instead of waiting for the facts, Trump’s tweets fol­lowed the rep­u­tation of imma­turity and inap­pro­pri­ateness he set on the cam­paign trail.

He next pub­li­cized his poor taste by politi­cizing a tragedy, using the attacks, which still were uncon­firmed as acts of ter­rorism, to justify his travel ban, which is heading to the Supreme Court for review.

This brash behavior gave the left the perfect oppor­tunity to avoid the issues at the center of the London attacks, mainly that radical Islam has imbedded itself into European soci­eties. Lib­erals would rather be anti-Trump than anti-Islam, as they’ve shown time and time again. Trump proved to be the perfect dis­traction from facing a reality they’d rather ignore.

The morning after the attacks, Trump decided he hadn’t gotten his point across and took to Twitter once again — this time to insult British leaders.

Say what you will about London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, but his original message bares no resem­blance to Trump’s inter­pre­tation:

“Lon­doners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed,” Khan tweeted.

Khan explained the city was taking mea­sures to protect its people, and Trump used one out-of-context phrase to pick a fight with his long-standing rival in the midst of a tragedy.

That led Khan to call for the can­cel­lation of Trump’s visit to the United Kingdom. Khan said the president’s policies go against every­thing for which Britain stands.

Trump’s Twitter fury time and again has dis­credited him in the world’s eyes, fur­thering the havoc he has wreaked on America’s inter­na­tional image.

The episode was far from fin­ished, though. He con­tinued by crit­i­cizing his own admin­is­tration, saying his Justice Department should not have sub­mitted a “watered down, polit­i­cally correct version” of the travel ban to the Supreme Court.

George Conway, husband of White House coun­selor Kellyanne Conway, then took to Twitter saying Trump was not only hurting the con­ser­v­ative agenda but also dam­aging his own in the process.

With each tweet a bullet in his foot, it is now implau­sible to argue that Trump is using Twitter as a means to bypass a biased media. What might have begun as an attempt to com­mu­nicate directly with his sup­porters has become irra­tional and a jarring reminder that Trump’s reac­tions shatter the con­ven­tional form of pres­i­dential responses. His use of Twitter sur­passes the failure to merely conform to con­vention, though. By breaking the mold, he has set a new trend of dis­re­spect and irre­spon­si­bility — one that will only con­tinue to damage his pres­i­dency and our nation.

There are many vital issues pending in Wash­ington, including health care and tax reform. If Trump has any hope of advancing them, he needs to take a break from social media. Better yet, delete the Twitter app.