Trumpet player Walter White will visit campus Saturday. Walter White | Courtesy

Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m., Hillsdale College’s Jazz Big Band will perform their annual concert featuring this year’s guest artist, trumpet player Walter White.

“This will be an exciting concert,” senior Big Band trumpetist Conor Woodfin said. “For most people attending, Walter White will be the best trumpet player they will ever hear. He is an incredible musician and the music is some of the most entertaining and energetic stuff out there.”

White studied trumpet at Interlochen Center for the Arts, The Juilliard School, the University of Miami, and the Banff Centre, and has played for numerous jazz orchestras, bands, and ensembles, including David Matthew’s Manhattan Jazz Orchestra, where he recorded seven award-winning records, according to his website. His music has also appeared in the soundtracks of records, movies, and television shows including TAXI and The Cosby Show.

“Walter’s pieces are very well written,” junior Big Band drummer Dean Sinclair said. “He is also a monster player, and it’d be a shame to miss him perform.”

Woodfin said White’s music will be featured at Hillsdale’s concert, along with other Latin, swing, funk, jazz ballads, and blues pieces. Graduating Big Band members will also be playing featured solos, Sinclair said.

“I’m most excited to perform White’s arrangement of Dave Brubeck’s ‘Blue Rondo Ala Turk,’” Sinclair said, “I played it in high school,” Sinclair said. “As a drummer, the time signature changes are a ton of fun to play. I think we sound nice on it.”

“I think most of the musicians and directors will agree that this is likely the best jazz band Hillsdale has ever seen,” Woodfin said. “There will be exciting music played by some incredible musicians. It is worth your time.”