Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority held its annual Cupcake Wars to raise money for charity. Morgan Channels | Col­legian

Tuesday night never tasted so sweet.

The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority held its annual national phil­an­thropy event, Kappa Kupcake Wars, raising $320 for Reading Is Fun­da­mental, a national orga­ni­zation ded­i­cated to sup­porting children’s lit­eracy.

“Kappa Kupcake Wars has been an annual phil­an­thropy tra­dition within our chapter,” Phil­an­thropy Chair junior Katie Mersereau said. “It allows stu­dents to come together and bake, while pro­viding tasty oppor­tu­nities for the entire school to not only enjoy these cre­ations but rec­ognize the talents of their friends.”

The icing on the cake for this com­pe­tition is the sweet taste of victory. Stu­dents vote for their favorites, and the winners claim baking bragging rights.

Sophomore Allie Dewire and freshmen Sydney Anderson and Bree Porter won most cre­ative and best taste for their “Cat in the Hat”-inspired cup­cakes. Best pre­sen­tation went to junior Glynis Gilio and sopho­mores Erin Fla­herty and Emily Holtyn.

Despite the com­pe­tition falling on a day during Lent and many stu­dents having for­feited sugar until Easter, people from all parts of campus par­tic­i­pated in the event.

KKG Pres­ident junior Maria Theisen referred to the event as “acces­sible phil­an­thropy” as it allows people to bake cup­cakes on their own time and then drop them off at the event.

Senior Chris Pudenz, head res­ident assistant of Gal­loway Res­i­dence, teamed with the daughter of his adopted church family in Hillsdale. Together, the two created cup­cakes inspired by the book “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.”

“Greeks have always been sup­portive of Galloway’s phil­an­thropies during my time as head RA, and I thought that par­tic­i­pating in Kupcake Wars would be a fun way to show some support in return,” Pudenz said. “It’s always cool to see the dif­ferent ways that the student body comes together to raise funds for off-campus char­ities,” Pudenz said.  

Mersereau said her favorite part of the event every year is seeing the cre­ativity of the final cre­ations by all of the com­petitors.

“There are lots of oppor­tu­nities to get involved and share our talents on campus, but baking is usually not one that is high­lighted,” Mersereau said.