The curtain may have fallen on their time with the Tower Dancers, but their potential has just begun to be unveiled.

Three senior Tower Dancers share their per­spective on their final dance per­for­mances, and the program’s progress in their time dancing.

Morey | Courtesy

Senior theater major Dani Morey praised Tower Dancers director Holly Hobbs for her cre­ativity the past two years with music.

“Last year Holly’s modern dance piece was to letters being read — there was no music.  It was so beau­ti­fully exe­cuted, and worked well with the lighting and pro­jec­tions. It was very stunning.”

Morey said she appre­ciated expe­ri­encing  Assistant Lec­turer in Dance Jillian Hopper’s cre­ative process in planning “Auspex,” Morey’s favorite dance.

“She’s new here, and didn’t know the dancers or what she was working with,” Morey said. “Watching her craft the dance to fit us, and taking her time to fit the right music and com­bi­nation of people and move­ments she wanted to use was inspiring.”

Morey com­pared her expe­rience in theatre to per­forming as a Tower Dancer.

“In theater, you are feeding off of other people, seeing how they respond to you, and giving back and forth,” Morey said. “In dance, it’s much more per­sonal. You are expe­ri­encing the dance, and opening yourself up and being vul­nerable for the audience, but it’s not so much give and take — it’s all you. It’s great being able to leave it all out there.

Morey said their extra tech­nical week and the student chore­o­g­ra­phers and costume design brought the best per­for­mances she had seen.

“This was the strongest per­for­mance I’ve seen here,” Morey said. “The diversity of having four student chore­o­g­ra­phers and student’s designing the cos­tumes made it so much more visually stim­u­lating, and the subject matter was so varied. Each of the dances were so dif­ferent, and had the flair of its chore­o­g­rapher.”

Hickman | Courtesy

Senior Leah Hickman said she enjoyed the extra props used in Hobbs’s dance.

“They pro­jected hubble tele­scope and space images on the back screen, and the dancers held flash­lights to mimic stars,” Hickman said. “It was cool working with the flow of the pulsars because there wasn’t an actual beat, so you had to be aware of the other’s move­ments, and use breath cues to signal the other dancers.”

Hickman said her favorite dance with the Tower Dancers was “Out of Ash” by Matt Farmer, a vis­iting chore­o­g­rapher from Hope College.

“It was very ath­letic, it involved good clas­sical music, and used the best music in American history, which was ‘Appalachian Spring’ by Aaron Copland,” Hickman said. “Even though it was modern music, there were still parts with the whole group dancing together, which looks pow­erful on stage.”

Melcher | Courtesy

Assistant Pro­fessor of Physics Timothy Dolch and Hobbs dis­cussed the math and dance col­lab­o­ration for 30 minutes before Friday’s per­for­mance.

Senior Lauren Melcher said as a science major, she appre­ciated the unique col­lab­o­ration of physics, dance, and Uni­versity of Wis­consin faculty member Dawn Erb, who wrote the pulsar music.

“It was neat we got to col­lab­orate with another department and college,” Melcher said. “You don’t typ­i­cally see science and dance together. It’s a very unique per­spective. I think if you have an open mind, it can be really unique, inter­esting, and beau­tiful.”

Melcher said the dancers rank Saturday’s per­for­mance as the best of the weekend because they had fixed mis­takes and weren’t as fatigued as on Sunday.

Melcher said that dance has played, and will con­tinue to play, a big role in her life.

“I’ve danced since 8 or 9 years old. I’ve always been a pretty cre­ative, artsy person even if I’m a science major,” Melcher said. “I use it as a form of expression and exercise. It’s also taught me dis­ci­pline. You def­i­nitely have to work hard to achieve certain goals, and I’m not a typical dancer.”

Melcher said the dance department’s enhanced, indi­vidual focus creates a strong dance program.

“Our faculty is incredible. They care about devel­oping every dancer and their abil­ities and talents as indi­viduals, not just as the whole class,” Melcher said. “The faculty will focus on each person, and give them tips and goals to work toward.”