Mrs. Stock’s Park offers Tuesdays in the Park, a series of free public con­certs during June and July. Abigail Liebing | Col­legian

Spring has arrived and as the weather warms up, parks are the perfect place to spend a day in the sun. Hillsdale has some really beau­tiful parks, all just a few minutes away from each other and from town.

According to Michelle Loren, director of Hillsdale’s recre­ation department, the most popular parks are Sandy Beach, Owen Memorial, and Water­works Parks because they are on the water­front and offer a variety of things to do. Sandy Beach has sand vol­leyball, a bas­ketball court and picnic area while Owen Memorial and Water­works Park are good places for fishing and pic­nicking. Mrs. Stock’s Park, another popular park, offers Tuesdays in the Park, a series of free, public con­certs during June and July. Stock’s Park is small, but with a pond in the middle, a small stream bor­dering the park, and some shady trees, it makes for a peaceful afternoon.

“This park has seen 13 years of ren­o­va­tions. The park boasts national award-winning gardens, a pond and island, and a lighted pavilion,” Loren said.

Lewis Emery is another park just a few minutes away from Hillsdale College’s campus. Sit­uated on several small lakes, Lewis Emery Park is a beau­tiful spot. The paths that go through woods run by a small stream, above the shore, and the trees make the paths somewhat secluded and quiet. Lewis Emery is also a great place to get in a little fishing and enjoy the sun on the lakes.

“My favorite park is the Lewis Emery Park because of all the lakes, and the paths in the woods are well groomed,” senior Faith Liebing said.

Hillsdale offers a variety of outdoor activ­ities and beau­tiful places such as Fields of Dreams, a park for baseball and soccer, and the neigh­borhood parks Cold Springs and KeeKoose.

Hillsdale also has plenty of beau­tiful places to walk, jog, or bike. Linda Moore, public ser­vices librarian at Mossey Library and a Hillsdale local said, one of her favorite activ­ities on a nice day is simply “walking through Oak Grove cemetery,” even though it’s not a park.

“My favorite park would actually be the walk along the bike path to Sandy Beach. It’s peaceful and the views are lovely,” Moore said.

Hillsdale can also boast in the history behind its parks.

“There is a lot of history that goes along with most of the parks in the city. So not only do they provide a wide variety of recre­ational offerings, but they hold stories about fam­ilies, industry, and Indian her­itage that are the framework of our won­derful city.” Loren said.