Senior Ty Etchemendy com­petes in hurdles at the 2017 Winter Opener this indoor track season. (Photo: Evan Carter / Hillsdale Col­legian)

Men’s track captain Ty Etchemendy took another step toward his goal of qual­i­fying for the outdoor national meet in all three of his events this past weekend with solid per­for­mances in the triple jump, 400-meter hurdles, and the 4x400-meter relay.

The senior jumped 14.68 meters in the triple jump and ran a pro­vi­sional-qual­i­fying time of 53.45 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles. He didn’t run the 4x400 relay at the Hill­topper Relays in Bowling Green, Ken­tucky, but ran part of last week’s 4x400 relay at the Texas Relays in Austin. 

“I wasn’t super happy with how every­thing went, but I made good strides towards what I’m trying to do,” he said. “This weekend was actually kind of dif­ficult because they weren’t running triple jump very effi­ciently and I ended up only having five minutes after triple jump to run the 400 hurdles.”  

Etchemendy believes sur­passing the school record of 15.04 meters in the triple jump and running a sub-52 second time in the 400-meter hurdles are both attainable by the end of the season.

In addition to praising Etchemendy’s per­for­mance from the past weekend, head coach Andrew Towne high­lighted sophomore Nate Eldridge’s 48.9 second time in the 400-meter dash.

“[This past weekend] was another oppor­tunity to improve,” Towne said. “We have a home meet this weekend, so we have another shot at it.”

Other notable per­for­mances at the Hill­topper Relays were sophomore Nathan Pando’s 22.63 second time in the 200-meter dash, the 4x100 relay team’s 41.85 second per­for­mance, and Junior Daniel Čapek’s 41.42 meter throw in discus. 

Ath­letes who didn’t travel to the Hill­topper Relays this past weekend traveled to the Marv Frye Invi­ta­tional in Delaware, Ohio. Junior Luke Miller’s second-place finish in the pole vault was the high­light of the men’s per­for­mances at the meet. Miller’s vault of 4.13 meters was about a quarter-meter off of his per­sonal best, but he was still pleased with his effort.

“It’s a little dis­ap­pointing, because it’s not as high as I feel I should be able to go, but it was nice to get some­thing started for outdoor,” Miller said. “Pole vaulting is such a finicky event — it’s easy for one little thing to be off that affects your entire per­for­mance. Espe­cially with the mental aspect of it.”

This Friday and Sat­urday the track team will host the Border Battle, its first outdoor home track meet of the season, at the Ken Herrick Track in Muddy Water’s Stadium.