Dear Editor,

Within the last year or two, stu­dents have, in these pages and on social media plat­forms, expressed their frus­tration with the “excessive” number of all-campus emails they receive daily. Indeed, we members of the faculty and staff often find our­selves frus­trated at the number of mass emails we receive daily.

The Student Activ­ities Board newsletter seemed like a perfect solution — a one-stop shop for announce­ments of all kinds. Earlier this year, an email to faculty and staff heavily encouraged us to take advantage of the SAB newsletter to alert stu­dents to things, rather than to con­tinue sending emails to the whole student body.

I thought surely stu­dents would take the time to look over the SAB newsletter, as they knew it would replace and therefore contain all the infor­mation pre­vi­ously sent in all-campus emails.

I recently used the SAB newsletter to announce jour­nalism schol­ar­ships and pub­li­cation editor appli­ca­tions. I received few sub­mis­sions. Pan­icked, I sent out a typical all-campus email adver­tising these items and quickly got many responses from stu­dents who said they did not see the announce­ments because they don’t read the SAB email. What are we to do? Stu­dents ignore and com­plain about mass emails, and ignore and delete SAB emails. The SAB newsletter is an excellent tool, and one that stu­dents advo­cated for. Stu­dents: we are not going to send you important infor­mation via text or Snapchat. You asked for a con­densed, infor­mation packed email, and you got it. Now you should read it.

Sin­cerely,

Maria Servold ’10
Assistant Director, Dow Jour­nalism Program
Faculty Advisor to Student Pub­li­ca­tions