From LennieZ https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=834867

Stu­dents and adults from Hillsdale Academy recently traveled to Europe for the school’s biennial overseas trip.

In the Academy’s largest group ever, 41 stu­dents, 32 parents, and five staff members traveled to Greece and Italy for 12 days during the school’s spring break, March 28 to April 9.

“We take everyone who wants to go,” Academy Head­master Kenneth Calvert said.

While in Europe, the group visited landmark sites of the Clas­sical, Christian, Medieval, and Renais­sance tra­di­tions. In Athens, the group visited the Acropolis and the Agora and dis­cussed the roots of Athenian democracy. In Rome, the stu­dents, parents, and staff visited the Forum, the Capi­toline and Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica, the Colosseum, and the Pan­theon. These visits illus­trated the birth of Repub­li­canism and wide­spread Chris­tianity in the Western world, Calvert said.

“The overall purpose of the trip is to provide an expe­rience that com­pletes our stu­dents’ study of the bib­lical and clas­sical world,” Calvert said.

After studying history, lit­er­ature, art and archi­tecture in the classroom, the trip brought all of these ele­ments to life as the stu­dents were able to mark the actual places that developed democracy and repub­li­canism, Calvert said. Par­tic­i­pants were also able to see the loca­tions where several Christian Apostles lived and died.

In addition to the scholastic ben­efits of the trip, the group enjoyed an overnight ferry ride from Delphi, Greece, to Bari, Italy. The group also explored various museums of art and archi­tecture in Italy and Greece. On the final day of their trip, the stu­dents, parents, and staff toured Venice.

The number of people that attended as well as the depth of insight they gained from pro­fessors and guides con­tributed to a valuable expe­rience for the academy, Calvert said. The history they learned and wit­nessed ulti­mately con­tributes to their under­standing of the American tra­dition and their place in it, he said.

“It is our hope that all of this will help them better under­stand the roots of American gov­ernment as it was shaped by our Founders,” Calvert said.